Chapter 17

October 15, 2017

-GET OUT-

(Max's point of view)

Listening to Natalia sleep, I was thinking about how long I've been here. And it has been a long while here and it felt like the end for me. Doing the same thing every god damn day over and over. Natalia still hasn't gotten used to it. She would cry out for help when she was having nightmares. I would try to sing to her and help her relax. I can imagine the fear she is in. I just hope that her family hasn't stopped looking for her like mine has.

When I think about Tate, I still cry most nights. How I can't hold her and how I knew she missed me. There was nothing I could do. I hope she can forgive me. I rather her think I'm dead then know that I left her and never tried to come back to her. But that pain can never match Brians. He's been here longer than I have and died without seeing his family again. His family will never know what happened to the loving husband/father.

"What are you afraid of, Max?" Natalia startled me.

"What do you mean?"

"I can hear you thinking out loud." She said, sniffling. She must've been crying again.

"I don't really want to talk about it, Nat." I sighed.

"I'm afraid of not seeing my father or my sisters, or even getting to meet my niece." She cried.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"It's not your fault, Max. I blame those bastards who do illegal shit on people." She banged her fist on the glass.

"I'm afraid of not being able to be with Tate while she gives birth to our little girl. Thats what I'm afraid of. I feel guilty for not being there for every moment she's going through. And I hate myself for not fighting my way out of here like hell." I ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

"When is she due?" Nat asked.

"In January, I believe."

"Then you still have time. You can still fight your way out of this bloody place. And Dr. Hanson can help us." I sat up quickly when I heard her say that.

Natalia explained that when they were questioning her on the first day, she met Dr. Hanson. Out of all the doctors, he was the only one asking if she was alright and that he was sorry that this had happened to her and he would do his best to help her escape. I was shocked to hear that he would do that. But this could be the breakthrough that we both needed.

"Is there anyway to make it happen right now??" I faced my body towards the glass door.

"I don't know, Max. He said it was going to take time, but I'm pretty sure he's going to let us know." She reassured.

"How about this, there's only 15 minutes left until they come over and hand us our breakfast. You can ask for Dr. Hanson and say only this." I paused. "Something doesn't feel right, I need to see Dr. Hanson. And if they ask why you tell them that your period has not come on and you think you might be pregnant. You got it, Natalia?"

I waited for her to respond. "Yeah I got it. Hopefully this works, Max. I want to go home to my family and I'm sure you do as well."

-Planning to Escape-

Fifteen minutes passed and the one doctor who gave us our food came knocking on the door. He knocked on my door first and said good morning to me and I did the same. Then he went to Natalia's door and saw her cradled in a ball in the corner of the room. YES! Natalia knew exactly what she was doing.