16

~17 September~

"Never have I ever... been engaged."

I shoot Joe a dark look as he smiles cheekily and flip him off as I take a shot of vodka. I wince and shake my head, already beginning to feel a little bit buzzed.

"Okay, I think I'm done." I stand up and ignore the please for me to stay. On the other side of the room I spot Dan with Tess and Phil. I slowly make my way towards them, pushing throw a crowd of sweaty people. "Hey!" I shout above the noise.

"Hey! What happened, it looked like you were having fun over there," Phil shouts back. I turn and look at the group playing never have I ever and shake my head.

"Don't want to get too drunk already. The party's only just begun."

"Wow. That does not sound like you at all, Y/N/N." Dan nudges my shoulder as he teases me.

"Shut up! I can't dance with you if I'm drunk already, can I?" I giggle as Dan's cheeks go red.

"You want to dance with me?" His eyes shimmer with hope and he tries his best to play it cool.

"Maybe... a bit later, though. There's some people I want to talk to. Come with me." I grab his hand and drag him around. We talk to old friends and complete strangers. I occasionally sneak a look at Dan beside me, watching him fiddling impatiently with his hands.

Dan's POV

"Shut up! I can't dance with you if I'm drunk already, can I?"

My whole body tenses up. Does she... want to dance with me?

"You want to dance with me?" Oh God, I sounded too surprised. I mean, I am but... I can't let her know that.

"Maybe..." My stomach flips. "A bit later, though. There's some people I want to talk to. Come with me." Before I can protest, she slips her small hand into mine. I begin to panic. What if my hand is sweaty? She won't dance with me then. No, Dan. She's engaged. Who cares if she doesn't dance with you?

I care.

Since Y/N decided she was going to stay for a bit longer, I've had this stupid fantasy that I could win her back at Alfie's party. But who am I kidding? She's moved on, something I can never do. And she's in love with someone who isn't me. I can get inbetween that. A dumb dance with her at a stupid birthday party won't change her mind. God, I'm such an idiot and a jerk. How could I even think of ruining her now perfect life?

"Dan?" I watch the couple Y/N had been talking to walk further into the crowd. Y/N tugs on my sleeve, trying to grab my attention. I look down into her eyes. "Are you okay?"

I smile down at her and give her a thumbs up. "Do you want to go sit down?" I yell above the noise. She nods and grabs onto my hand again, lacing her fingers with mine. I lead her over to a quiet spot and take a seat on the fold out chairs.

"I really wish Jase would take me to these things." Although it's easier to hear her now, I don't understand what she's saying.

"What?"

"I said I wish Jase would take me to these things. You know, parties, clubs. I mean, going out to restaurants and the night we got engaged were pretty cool, but we never dance and be crazy. I'd love to dance with him until we drop to the ground, starting with a slow dance. You know that song The Night We Met?"

"Yeah." Suddenly, I get an idea. "I'm gonna go use the bathroom. I'll be right back. Save my seat."

I push my way through the room of people towards the DJ.

"How can I help you?" The man shouts, turning his attention to me.

"I have a special song request."

~A few minutes later~

"You're back! Do you want to get a drink?" Y/N goes to walk away. Being as gentle as I can, I grab hold of her wrist and softly pull her closer to me.

"Hold on a minute." I chuckle. "We still need to have our dance."

A bright smile crosses her face as The Night We Met begins to fill the room.

"Oh my God! This is... wait, was this you?" I nod. "Wow... Dan. Thank you!"

"Shall we?" I grab her hands and walk her over to the middle of the room. I slip my arms around her waist as she gently wraps hers around my neck, the two of us rocking side to side.

I look down at her in awe. Her eyes sparkle in the blue and purple lights that fill the room, her smile is soft and sweet. She feels small in my arms, like one wrong move and I could break every bone in her body. With every step I get a waft of vanilla, my now favourite scent. Jase is so lucky. She'll go home to him and he'll be the one she cuddles up on the couch with, he'll be the one she falls asleep with every night. He'll be the one who gets to live in the moment I'm in now for the rest of his life. He gets marry her. And I lost her. I lost this perfect girl, and now she belongs to another.

"What is it?"  I almost jump out of my trance.

"What?"

"Why are you staring at me like that?"

Shit.

I stumble over my words trying to find the right thing to say. "Um, uh it's just... I'm gonna miss you when you leave."

Her beautiful smile drops to a frown.

"Dan..."

Your POV

"Oh my God! This is... wait, was this you?" Dan nods proudly. I don't know how else to react. I've always wanted to slow dance to The Night We Met. Only problem is Jase's distaste for the song. "Wow... Dan. Thank you!"

"Shall we?" I hold out my hands for him to take and together we walk out into the dance floor.

As the two of us sway side to side, Dan stares at me with a longing gaze.

"What is it?"

"What?" Dan's voice squeaks in shock.
"Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Um, uh it's just..." In the purple and blue lights I can just see his cheeks turn a different colour as he stumbles on his words. "I'm gonna miss you when you leave."

My heart sinks.

"Dan..." I dig to the deepest parts of my brain trying to find something to say but no words can explain how I feel right now. Dan cocks his head to one side and in his eyes I can see he's eager to hear what I have to say. Instead, I pull him closer and rest my head against his chest. His heartbeat quickens.

"What's wrong, Y/N?" He pulls back as the song ends.

I shrug. "Nothing. Should we go find something to drink?"

"Sure."

~Many drinks later~

I can't help but laugh as I jump around the dance floor. I turn to face Dan and grab his hands and the two of us twirl around, slurring apologies to the people we accidentally bump into. As the song fades and another slow song begins, I find myself back in Dan's arms. We're too drunk to try dance properly, so it's kinda just a stumbling hug. I look up to Dan who's already smiling down at me and giggle. What was I doing with my life? There's only one place I want to be and one person I want. It feels like slow motion; I reach up and wrap my arms around Dan's neck, pulling him town so our heads touch. I stare into his eyes and smile at how they sparkle.

"Y/N?" His voice is a whisper.

I close the gap and press my lips against his. The kiss is like magic. It suddenly feels like we're the only people here, like everyone else has just disappeared. We laugh when we break away. I grab his hand tight, wanting more.

"Let's go to my room."

We run away from the party giggling. As soon as we close the door to the bedroom, Dan grabs my waist and pulls me towards him. He leans down for another kiss and lifts me up. He carries me over to the bed and lays me down. As he crawls into the bed with me, I take off the ring on my left hand and throw it to the floor.