Chapter 11: They Are Coming

I scoffed with annoyance and shot up, I had barely slept on the hard stone and my back was aching.

I stumbled out of the room and back into the keep, the sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon. Dark clouds were beginning to roll in from the south, I rubbed my temples and walked up a set of stairs, leaning on the stone as I peered out over the landscape.

"I expected you to be asleep." Legolas called from my right, he was walking towards me with a weak and tired smile on his face. I shrugged and watched him as he leaned on the stone beside me, I stared off at the horizon.

"Do you think Frodo and Sam are alive?" I asked after a long silence, Legolas furrowed his brow and puffed out air.

"What do you think?" His voice was soft, my gaze moved over to him, worry seemed to be written all over his face.

I shook my head and closed my eyes, "I believe... they are alive." I breathed, opening my eyes slowly as I tried to convince myself. Guessing wouldn't do anything for them, we would continue trying to stop these forces even if Sam and Frodo had perished.

I would fight to the end.

Legolas smiled weakly, his eyes flickered over to the main hall.

"You should get some rest." I laughed slightly at his tired expression, he chuckled and trotted off.

I sipped in the cool air, the damp smell of rain hung heavy in the atmosphere along with a sense of dread.

I turned on my heel and walked back into the main hall, plopping myself down on a bench.

"Morning." Eowyn's voice echoed through the hall, she was pinning her hair back as she walked towards me.

I nodded in acknowledgment and rubbed my eyes sleepily.

"Are you hungry?" Eowyn asked, raising an eyebrow at me. "We might have some apples or bread sitting around." She snorted slightly as her eyes flickered around the room.

"An apple maybe." I said quickly as I fiddled with my worn undershirt.

Mud had splattered up on the once white material along with a small amount of blood. Possibly my own, who knows. The edges of the shirt had come undone and strings hung down, swaying in the slight chilled breeze that flowed gently through the hall.

"Here you are." Eowyn hummed, her voice bringing me back to the present. Eowyn was watching me closely, her pale blue eyes questioned me.

I cleared my throat awkwardly as I swallowed a chunk of the apple she had handed me.

"Is there something you were wanting to ask?" I asked kindly, furrowing my eyebrows.

"You must have some stories, I wish I could be an adventurer." She shook her head as she pushed away some thought.

I chortled softly at her, "I should, shouldn't I?" I laughed as I bit into the apple.

"Do you not?" Eowyn asked after a moment of silence. I stared blankly at her. "Where are you from?" She asked quickly.

"I am originally from Mirkwood, but I left and have lived in Rivendell for some time." I explained rather matter-of-fact.

"I'm not very fascinating, you should ask Legolas." I said quickly.

"What about this journey you're on?" Eowyn's eyebrows knitted together.

I swallowed the last bit of the apple and stared into her icy blue eyes.