Chapter 3: Fangorn Forest

We jogged silently through the forest, I eyed the tall and massive trees that shielded the sun and made it as dark as night under the canopy.

"Orc blood." Gimli spat out, he had tasted a bit of blood that had been on a lead; I furrowed my eyebrows and peered around the forest.

"These are strange tracks." Aragorn stood up tall, I quickly walked over to his side and nodded as I stared at the large imprint in the moist ground.

"The air is so thick in here." Gimli said nervously.

"This forest is old," Legolas whispered, "Very old." he continued as he walked over to my side, "Full of memory... and anger." his face scrunched up as he said the latter.

The trees began to groan, Gimli raised his ax and spun around looking for the source.

"The trees are speaking to each other." I said quickly and looked over at Gimli, eyeing his ax.

"Gimli," Aragorn whispered loudly, "lower your ax." Aragorn mouthed

Gimli gasped and lowered his ax quickly, holding his hands up in innocence.

My head perked up and I quickly jogged out in front of the group, narrowing my green eyes as they flickered around.

"Aragorn, something is out there." I said quickly. Legolas jogged up to my side, nodding vigorously.

"What do you see?" Aragorn asked in our native tongue.

"The White Wizard approaches." Legolas hissed.

I ripped my bow off my back and cocked an arrow quickly, the source of our worries was directly behind us.

Aragorn pressed his lips together and wrapped his hand around the hilt of his sword, "Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us." He whispered, "We must be quick." Aragorn strained, we all nodded.

Legolas felt up his arrow and pulled it back tight, I readied myself.

Aragorn yelled out and spun around, I went down on one knee and released my arrow which was deflected. Gimli threw an ax which was also deflected, Legolas's arrow was deflected and Aragorn's sword became scalding medal, burning his skin and causing him to drop it.

A blinding light radiated off the Wizard causing all of us to hold up our arms to shield our eyes.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits." The voice was distorted, strangely familiar but at the same time completely different.

"Where are they?" I strained, trying to see the figure.

"They passed this way, the day before yesterday." The voice responded. "They met somebody that they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" The tone was so familiar, I searched my mind for the speaker.

"Who are you?" Aragorn pressed, "Show yourself!" He demanded, moving slightly forward.

The light suddenly dimmed and we dropped our arms slowly, I gasped and fell to the ground with a bow; Legolas and Gimli did the same, Gandalf was standing in front of us.

"It cannot be." Aragorn moved forward, sadness filled his voice.

I stood back up, staring in disbelief. "You fell." I whispered.

"Through fire... and water." Gandalf responded, my eyebrows knitted together. "From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth." Gandalf seemed to space out, ""Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again." Gandalf came back and stared into my green eyes with his deep pools, "I've been sent back until my task is done." He finished quickly.

"Gandalf!" Aragorn whispered, smiling slightly.

Gandalf raised an eyebrow and a small flicker of the old him came into view, "Gandalf?" He paused for a moment as he tried to recollect, "Yes... That's what they used to call me, Gandalf the Grey.." His voice trailed off and he leaned closer to Aragorn, "I am Gandalf the White." A smiled curled up at the corner of his mouth and disappeared as quickly as it came, "And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide." He said seriously.

We followed Gandalf through the woods at a quick pace, he seemed to know where he was going. Gandalf wrapped a grey cloak around him to cover his white robes, I raised an eyebrow but didn't question him.

"One stage of your journey is over, a new one begins. War has come to Rohan, we must ride to Edoras with speed." Gandalf explained as the forest began to thin out and rays of bright sun leaked through the canopy.

We walked out of the forest and onto a great golden plain, the hills rolled up and down with the land and a warm breeze flooded over the land causing the golden grasses to roll like waves in the ocean.

Gandalf let out a long and loud whistle that echoed over the plain and the whinny of a horse responded.

A beautiful pure white horse revealed itself over a hill, the wind blew through it's mane and the sun reflected off it's coat making it almost blinding.

"That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Legolas walked forward, staring at the horse in awe.

"Shadowfax." Gandalf smiled and patted the neck of the horse, "He's the lord of all horses, and has been my friend through many dangers." Gandalf smiled brightly.

"We must go visit the King." Gandalf said forebodingly.