13 - Love

Camila had just had the strangest and most uncomfortable thirty minutes of her entire life. First her mother had found her making out in bed, with a girl. Then she'd sent that girl home. And next, she'd called her downstairs after having had a word with her father, to talk with her.

"I knew it." Her father said, a beaming smile on his face.

"Are you serious right now, Alejandro?" Said her mother, the look on her face strict as she stared at her husband. Camila was sitting at the dinner-table with her parents. It was 12.34 a.m and Lauren had been sent home 15 minutes ago.

"Wh-what?" Alejandro said, his smile growing a little smaller when seeing how serious his wife was being. "W-we're supposed to love our children no matter what, mi amor, so I'm just trying to-"

"Oh I don't mind if my daughter is gay, Alejandro." Sinu, Camila's mom, spat at her husband. "I don't love it, but I love her."

"O-oh, good." Alejandro said, shooting Camila a short smile before Sinu spoke up again.

"What I do not like, is that she invited a girl to our house, told us she was a friend, and then ended up in bed with her."

"We- we weren't like-" Camila stuttered, her cheeks red as she tried calming herself down. This was not the coming-out situation she'd hoped for. Her heart was racing and her hands were sweaty. "We weren't having sex, we were just making ou-"

"Camila!" Sinu shouted, startling both her own husband and her daughter. "I must hope you're not having sex with random friends!"

"N-no mom, but I- I don't think Lauren is a random friend.." Camila said, the volume of her voice soft. She felt like she was about to start crying again, like she had done for the past fifteen minutes already.

"Is she your girlfriend?" Alejandro, her dad, asked her. Her was sitting opposite of her, his wife next to him. They both stared at their daughter's face.

"No.." Camila mumbled.

"Oh.." Alejandro nodded.

"I mean, not yet." She added, a small grin on her face. She noticed how her father grinned a little bit as well, but then looked at her mom, who still had this stern, yet unreadable expression on her face.

"That girl.." Sinu sighed, running a hand through her short hair, momentarily closing her eyes. "Out of every person at your new school, you must date the most problematic one.."

"I- we're not dating.." Camila mumbled, before furrowing her eyebrows. "And- and Lauren is a really nice person, mom."

"She does have a lot of troubles, sweetheart." Her father chimed in, shooting her a bittersweet glance. "Some troubles you probably don't-"

"She told me about all of the shi- stuff going on in her life." Camila nodded, leaning forward a little. "But she really, genuinely is a good person. She's sweet and caring and she's- she's funny too and she looks so cool with that leather jack-"

"Okay Mija, we don't have to hear all of the detai-"

"Let our daughter talk, Sinu. Look how happy it makes her." Alejandro said, pointing at his smiling oldest daughter.

"Alejandro.." Sinu spat, her head snapping towards her husband. "That girl is toxic."

"The fact that her dad is an abusive alcoholic doesn't mean Lauren isn't a good person, mom." Camila said then, sitting back in her chair, taking a deep breath before shaking her head. "You can be so simpleminded sometimes.." She sighed.

"I'm- don't you say that to me, have a little respect for your parents, young lady." Her mom said sternly, to which she shortly looked at her and then nodded, mumbling a soft "sorry".