18 | throwing stones

            The water of the lake reflected the perfect blue sky. It was quiet and far from the noise of the busy city of LA. It was just them two, peacefully chatting and laughing at some jokes he would say. When Malia first met Ashton, she never imagined being on a date with him because she did believe he was quite wild, something that would not match her reserved personality. But things had changed and she was still confused with her feelings for Daniel then. It was quite clear now, she had no right to have feelings for the boy and it was time it had to come to a stop.

            In her mind she felt bad because she knew that she would not be able to look at Ashton the same way as she does to her best friend, or even think about him the same. Though when they had their friendly hangouts something did spark some feelings, but nothing compared to what she already felt towards Daniel. It was a whole confusing mess on what she should do. Agreeing to the date was an impulse decision with the frustration of never being able to avoid Daniel, and maybe this could work. Maybe she had some hidden feelings that would come out of nowhere.

            The two had been talking non stop for hours, Ashton being his charming self and flirting with Malia every chance he gets. They had been talking about their life and their dreams, then Ashton had brought about something about family.

            He told the story of how he was an only child and his parents were quite busy most of the time, always caught on their jobs as surgeons. Malia could see the sadness in his eyes and his shaky voice. This was obviously a sensitive topic for him to talk about, and him being comfortable telling Malia made her feel special.

            "... As I grew up I became less reliant on my parents— which I guess was good. I mean, I learned how to be more responsible with taking care of myself and making my own decisions. But I wished I grew up with their support, and knowing they were proud of me." Ashton gave Malia a sad smile, concealing what he was feeling inside. In his head, he couldn't believe he spoke to Malia about his parents. This was something he never told anyone, even Jackson, his best friend. Though there were reasons as to why he wouldn't tell him, the main one being that Jackson had such a big ego and always wanting to prove he was not weak. Ashton didn't want Jackson to know about his past situation, Jackson would think of him differently if he knew how Ashton felt.

            "I'm really sorry that you had to go through that. No child deserves to be neglected by their parents. It's cruel." Ashton nodded, the memories of coming home alone everyday after school, with no one to ask him how his day was or even just greet him flashed in his mind.

            Malia looked at him intently, watching as he was in deep thought. She could see he had a lot on his mind and as she watched him, something flashed in eyes at the moment of a great revelation.

            It was like Ashton had snapped back to reality and he plastered on his charming smile once again. It was as though their talk had never happened and everything was fine. Malia didn't question anything, because she believed that Ashton didn't want to talk about it further and just have a good time without being sad. She liked that about him, how he could move past the problems and enjoy life.

            Ashton stood up and Malia furrowed her brows as she saw him walk near the lake. She pulled herself up and walked up to him. Once she was near him, she looked at Ashton's face in a questioning look.

            "Have you ever skipped rocks?" Ashton asked, picking up a smooth, flat looking pebble.

            Malia took some to think and shook her head, "Um, no. I've never done it before because it looks impossible. How are the rocks even suppose to bounce of the water?"

            "It's all about gravity." He replied, after moving his feed and turned his body sideways and throwing the rock. The pebble went at a fast rate, then bouncing off the water and moving furher into the lake. Ashton then turned to Malia and rose his eyebrows, "See."

            "Yeah," Malia scrunched up her face and shook her head, "I'm not gonna be able to do that."

            "I'll show you." Ashton picked up a pebble took Malia's arm. He opened her hand and placed the pebble in it and Malia clutched it tightly.

            Ashton guided Malia hand and helped her throw the pebble at a certain angle. When the stone flew out of her hand and bounced along the water, Malia smiled in awe.

            Malia looked at Ashton and chuckled, "I'm gonna admit, that was cool. But it's clear that I'm not gonna be able to that on my own."

            "Oh come on, Malia you are literally one of the most amazing girls I know. Throwing a pebble onto water is probably something you could do in your sleep." Ashton exclaimed and stared at her.

            "You think I'm amazing?" Malia chuckled at him with a questioning look, "I think you're kind of exaggerating."

            Ashton didn't respond and in his mind, he was fighting whether he should do it, whether he should make the first move. One part of his brain conquered the other and he leaned in, closing the space between them. He kissed her and Malia was taken aback, just like the first kiss they shared. But the only difference?

            Malia kissed back.

            When they pulled apart, Ashton whispered in her ear, "If I was exaggerating, would have I done that?"