21 | suspicious character

            "Wait, Malia has a boyfriend?" Christina laid shock at the news all the boys could only talk about. It all came to a shock to everyone, even Christina. That morning when Corbyn woke up, he immediately face timed his love, as usual, informing her of the events the night before.

            "Yeah, she does. His name is Ashton." Corbyn explained as he ruffled his hair and yawned. He did just wake up, not wanting to waste any time catching up with his girlfriend. "I thought you would know about this."

            "No I don't. She never told me about it when we would face time." Christina shrugged, wondering why her best friend didn't tell her of the news before. "Hold on, tell me exactly what happened last night."

And with that, Corbyn explained everything leading up to the door that opened a whole lot of trouble.

last night...

"Daniel..." Malia spoke softly, a surprised tone in her voice. In the moment, she was shocked. What the hell were these boys doing at her house? She thought. She looked at Ashton who gave her a look with his eyebrows raised and then back at the boys who stood there awkwardly.

Once he was out of his trance, Daniel cracked a polite smile and took out his hand to Ashton, "Hey, I'm Daniel."

Ashton looked at his hand for a second and then proceeded to shake it while introducing himself. "Ashton."

As they both ended their greetings, Ashton looked at the other boys who then introduced themselves. As this was happening, Daniel looked at Malia, who stared at him as she nervously chewed on her inside cheek. He gave her a smile, which when she saw, she returned it back, feeling some sort of relief.

Ashton looked back at Malia, confused on what to say to the five boys. Malia stepped forward, "Hey guys, didn't expect you here." She gave a nervous laugh.

"Sorry for disturbing you at this hour. We didn't know you had company." Daniel apologised, but Malia shook her head.

"No need to apologise. Ashton and I were just watching a movie. Why are you guys here?" She questioned.

Daniel opened his mouth to answer, but no words were able to form on his lips. Corbyn saw the blue eyed boy open, then close his mouth as he furrowed his eyebrows. He interjected, answering Malia's question. "We just wanted to ask you to hang out. We haven't seen much of you, Malia."

Malia smiled at the thought of the boys missing her. "Do you guys wanna come in?"

Daniel was quick to decline her offer, but Jack and Zach pushed past him and ran inside. "It's late, Malia, and you have company." Daniel tried to reason with her, but she urged them to come inside.

As Daniel walked inside behind Corbyn, he looked to see dumb and dumber, Jack and Zach, at the fridge, taking food out to eat. Catching the television at the corner of his eye, he looked over to Malia and Ashton, "What movie were you guys watching?"

"A comedy, Malia's favourite." Ashton answered, putting his arms around Malia. Daniel nodded and watched as Malia grinned at Ashton.

"Malia! Can we watch the movie with you two?" Zach exclaimed with eyes filled with excitement.

"Sure, there's plenty of room for everyone." Malia walked out of Ashton's grip and walked to the living room with Jack and Zach.

Ashton tensed his jaw as he watched Malia walked to the next room. A flash of annoyance was visible on his face and he ruffled his hair. This could be seen by Daniel, who was uncertain about Ashton.

"Ashton, can you get more popcorn?" Malia yelled and Ashton was quick to complete her request as he wanted to take refuge out of sight from the five boys who were apparently part of his girlfriend's life.

Daniel followed the boy, becoming more curious about the new face who was in Malia's house. When Ashton noticed Daniel walk into the kitchen, he sighed to himself.

"Hey." Ashton displayed a fake smile, trying his hardest to conceal his true emotions of annoyance and frustration.

"Uhm, hey." Daniel replied. Ashton placed the popcorn in the microwave and waited as the sound of the device filled the silence. Daniel looked down at his shoes then up to Ashton, "So, how long have you been with Malia?"

"A couple months." Ashton cooly answered. Daniel's eyebrows raised at his reply and it shocked him. He was expecting the 'no we're not dating, we're just friends' response, but clearly he was wrong. Ashton watched Daniel's confused emotion and he cracked a small smile before questioning Daniel, "So how long have you been friends with Malia?"

"Quite a long time." Daniel's response was vague, but he really wanted to emphasise that he clearly knew Malia before Ashton.

"Really?" Ashton's eyebrow cocked up and he tapped on the bench with his fingers. "She never mentioned you guys."

Daniel was trying to avoid eye contact with Ashton throughout their whole conversation, but as Ashton spoke his last words he immediately looked at him. Ashton missed the glare Daniel gave him as he reached for the hot popcorn in the microwave and poured it into a big bowl. He then left Daniel in the kitchen without uttering another word, feeling pretty good with himself.

Daniel followed into the living room, taking a seat next to Corbyn on the couch, his eyes following Ashton's movements.

the morning after...

"Daniel was practically sending daggers towards Ashton the whole night." Corbyn explained to Christina. "I don't know what they talked about before coming into the living room, but Daniel clearly doesn't like him."

"He's jealous." Christina chuckled, "But I don't think he himself sees it."