9

Later, the middle of Boston Common

"Can we take a break? My legs are killing me." MacCready asked as he slowed his walking pace. I slowed down to walk with him, but still found a window to make fun of him.

"Don't get old now, MacCready," I teased, setting my bag down next to an old bench. He took a seat on the bench, and I sat on the floor in front of it.

"I don't plan on it. I'm not Nick Valentine." 

That earned an ugly snort from me. "I'm telling Nick you said that." I looked out over Swan's Pond, curious as to the legend behind it. I'd heard people talking about it and Nico and I used to chase people down here, but I didn't exactly piece together the story behind it.

"Hey, do you know the story behind this place?" I turned to MacCready, who was now looking down at me. I guess he can read my mind?

"You mean you don't?"

I shook my head, and he rolled his eyes. "I can't really blame you, I guess." His voice was muffled a bit by the bandana. "Aparently there's a Super Mutant Behemoth living just underneath those waters."

"No way." I gaped at the water, a sudden nervousness consuming me. He could tell, and that made him laugh.

"Scared?" His blue eyes glimmered mischievously.

I looked at him, my eyes narrowing a bit. "Shut up. Everyone's got something they're scared of." I looked back at the water. "Someone's got to have killed it by now, right?"

"Only one way to find out," He said, standing up on the bench. 

"MacCready, whatever you're thinking, don't-"

"HEY BEHEMOTH!" He hopped up and stood on the back of the bench. "COME ON OUT, YOU BIG DUMMY!" The wood gave way and he fell straight on his ass.

"What the fuck, are you nuts?" I yelled. "How old are you again?"

"22?" He answered, confused.

"Then fucking act like it!"

"Hey, don't tell me how to act, you're younger than-" We heard a loud roar from behind us. I turned around, then froze.

The thing had to be at least 15 feet tall, and had fragments of the boat scattered all around it's back.

"Swan..." MacCready and I stared at it, almost in a trance. We were snapped out of it when a huge rock was hurled at us, shattering the rest of the bench and sending the splintering pieces flying out everywhere.

"I shouldn't have picked a fucking sniper," I breathed loudly, grabbing MacCready by the collar or his coat and dragging him up, getting ready to run. I grabbed my swatter in my other hand, with my sniper already slung over my back.

"Welcome to the friggin' club," He responded semi-sarcastically as we bolted the opposite direction.

I heard it's angry bellowing grow closer, but kept myself from turning around. I dove into some nearby bus for cover, and MacCready kept running.

"Shit!" I yelped out loud when it stopped going after MacCready and instead turned back around and charged at me. It rammed it's face through the door, trying to grab me with it's teeth. I took a swing at it with my swatter, one of the sharp metal pieces stabbing into it's eye. It roared again, and I took another swing, hitting it in the other eye.

It stumbled backwards, turning around and getting hit in the face with a bullet as soon as it did.

I noticed MacCready, perched where a window used to be in the second story of a building. He fired again, hitting it straight in the nose.

I got my gun out as it started aimlessly running after MacCready, and fired two shots. Both of them missed.

"Damn it!" I looked through my scope and fired again, this time hitting it in the back of the head. MacCready fired twice, both hitting it in the face. It went down, and we were both still for a minute. It was eerily quiet. 

I slowly got up and walked over to where it lay, not moving. I pressed the barrel right to it's forehead and, despite it not being a close-range weapon, fired another shot. I immediately hopped back and waited for it to get up and swipe at me, but it didn't. I walked back over to it and kicked it. No movement.

"It's dead," I said, exhaling.

"I can see that," MacCready responded, jumping down from the empty window frame. He pulled the bandana down and smirked. "Impressed yet? Told you I was a damn good shot."