CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

(THIS CHAPTER IS SUPER CHEESY, I'M SORRY. IT'S JUST THE MARRIAGE CHAPTER)

CHAPTER FOUR
MELONIE'S POV

   Today's the day. I'm getting married. I'm getting married to the love of my life, Jackson Avery. I've never been more nervous, yet excited, about anything in my life.

   I stood in front of my mirror in my dressing room, wearing my perfect wedding dress with my perfect hairdo on the day I had been waiting for my whole life. Meredith was my maid of honor, and Arizona, Cristina, April, and Callie were my bridesmaids. Everything was perfect. The only thing that wasn't perfect was that Lexie wasn't here.

   "Melonie." Meredith knocked on the door.

   I wiped my eyes and shook my hands, taking in a shaky breath before quietly answering, "Come in."

   "Are you okay?" she asked, walking toward me.

   I turned to face her. "Ever since I met you and Lexie, I always planned on having you two at my wedding. You would both be my maid of honors. And I'm really happy that you're here, but Lexie's not."

   Meredith sighed and sat me down on the bench that was right next to us.

   "I know," she said. "I miss her, too, I do. But, this is your special day. You should enjoy it. I know it's hard without her here, but you know that she's here in our hearts."

   "I know." I exhaled shakily. 

   Arizona walked in and looked at me, then sat down and took my hand in her own, and I looked back at her, wiping my eyes again.

   "I know I shouldn't eavesdrop on your conversations, but we all know I don't follow rules," Arizona smiled, making Mer and I laugh. "Lexie is always here. We all loved her. She is here with you today. Trust me, I know she is."

   I looked at Meredith, then back at Arizona. "Thank you." I hugged them both before standing up and looking in the mirror again, while Arizona and Meredith left the room.

   My hair was in spiral curls with a white flower pin in it, and my dress was obviously white, and it was off-the-shoulder. The dress was a lace and it draped out by my feet.

   "You look beautiful," April gasped, walking into the room.

    "Thank you," I smiled, fixing my eyeliner.

   "Have you been crying?" She walked closer to me.

   "It's a long story, but I'm fine now," I chuckled.

   "I'm glad," she laughed. "The ceremony is about to start, so you might want to get out there."

   "Okay," I exhaled.

   April held my hand as we walked out of the room. I was inhaling and exhaling the whole time on our way to the front door.

   There, Derek was waiting for me. Since my real dad wasn't going to walk me down the aisle, I chose Derek. He was the closest I had to a father.

   "You look amazing," he smiled at me. "I am so happy for you, Mel."

   "Thank you, McDreamy." I winked, making him laugh.

   I heard the music start, and Meredith was the first to walk in, then Arizona, then Callie, then April, then Cristina. I took a deep breath as I heard the music playing.

   I looked at Derek nervously, and he squeezed my hand in reassurance, which made me calm down a little. The doors open and Derek and I linked arms.

   We started walking down the aisle. I looked at everyone sitting in the seats, including Miranda, Shane, Jo, Stephanie, Leah, and other doctors and family members. I looked up and saw Jackson smiling at me. 

   I reached the altar and I stood in front of Jackson. I smiled at him and he smiled back, a few tears escaping his eyes. I chuckled and wiped his tears away.

   "You're beautiful," Jackson whispered, and I smiled in response.

   "We're all here today to celebrate the relationship of Melonie Grey and Jackson Avery, and to be witnesses and supporters of the commitment they share with one another. Together we're a group of the most important people in their lives and they've brought us here to publicly recognize that we've all played some special part in the love they share today," the minister spoke. "Melonie and Jackson wanted me to thank you all for being here and to recognize how important each and every one of you are to their relationship. They would also like to recognize all of those who couldn't make it here today as they are certainly missed, but not forgotten on this day of celebration-especially Mark Sloan, and Lexie Grey." I looked into Jackson's eyes, trying my best to hold myself together. "Marriage gives permanence and structure to a couple's love. It's a way to tell one another that no matter how much you snore or how much you spent while at the mall, we're still in this together." Everyone laughed at that. "Marriage is telling the person you love that you're not going anywhere and that's a powerful commitment for two people to make to one another."

   I tuned the other parts out. I just looked into Jackson's eyes and smiled, not wanting to wait any longer. I just wanted to marry him already.

   We read our vows to each other, and I cried like a little baby. Jackson cried as I read my speech, and I don't think there was a dry eye in the crowd.

   After the rings were placed on our fingers, it was time for the 'I Dos'.

   "Melonie and Jackson, you have professed your love by exchanging your vows. You have symbolized your commitment by exchanging rings. And you have expressed the end of your individual lives by the pouring of the unity sand. With all of this, there is just one more question I need each of you to answer and then we're off to the reception to celebrate." He turned to me. "Melonie, do you take Jackson to be your husband; to live together in the covenant of marriage? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?"

   I looked at Jackson and smiled. "I do."

   "Jackson, do you take Melonie to be your wife; to live together in the covenant of marriage? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?"

   "I do," Jackson smirked.

   "By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Jackson, you may now kiss your bride."

   Jackson pulled me into a long and passionate kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck as his hands supported my back, and pulled me closer to him. The room erupted in applause and everyone was on their feet.

   Jackson took my hand and pulled me down the aisle as we ran out with everyone throwing flower pedals at us. We reached the hall and I finally let all of my emotions out. I ran into Jackson's arms and held him, letting my tears fall.

   "I'm in love with you, Jackson."

~

Word Count: 1203