CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
MELONIE'S POV

   I walk out of the residents' lounge, grabbing some charts to fill them out. I caught up with Meredith and Cristina as they walked through the hospital.

   "Hey," I greeted them. 

   "Have you seen Derek?" Meredith asked, and at the same time, Cristina asked, "Have you seen Owen?"

   "No."

   "He put me on his service, I told him not to, and he gave me an arachnoid cyst," Mer complained.

   "I have to pull the plug on a brain-dead trauma. I need Owen to approve it," Cristina told me.

   "There he is." I stopped and pointed at Owen, who was talking to a pretty nurse with chestnut hair.

   The three of us stared at Owen and the pretty nurse. The nurse walked away, but not before taking some of Owen's trail mix from his bag. Mer and I looked at each other, then at Cristina.

   "So he's just sharing his nasty trail mix with someone," Mer shrugged.

   "People do that. It doesn't mean anything," I added.

   Cristina wasn't paying attention to anything we were saying. She just kept staring at Owen.

   "Cristina," I got her attention.

   "What?" Cristina finally looked at us.

   "I have to go find Derek," Meredith sighed, walking off.

   "I'm gonna go find Jackson," I said. "Are you gonna be okay?"

   "Yeah, yeah, I'll be fine. Go." Cristina waved me off.

   I walked off in search of my boyfriend. I walked through halls and looked into rooms, until I finally saw him through a window to a lab. Another lady was talking to him.

   Jackson saw me through the window and he looked at me with wide eyes, shaking his head no, but I walked in anyway.

   "Oh, who is this?" the lady smiled at me. 

   "I'm Melonie," I smiled, and Jackson rushed to my side, colliding our hands together.

   "My girlfriend," Jackson gave a fake smile. "Mel, this is my mom, Catherine Avery."

   "Girlfriend?" Catherine looked at me. "Well, aren't you cute?" She smiled at me.

   "Thank you," I smiled back. "Nice to meet you."

   "Now..." She stepped closer to me. "What are your intentions with my son? Melonie, I swear, if you hurt him, I will-"

   "Okay, Mom, we have to get to work now. Bye." Jackson dragged me out of the room.

   We started walking through the halls, still holding hands. I smirked at him. 

   "I warned you before you came in," he sighed. "Every girl that I've ever dated, she chased away." He stopped and looked at me, but I could see the fear in his eyes. "I really like you, Melonie, and I don't want her to chase you away."

   I smiled and kissed him. 

   "I would never leave you."

   I kissed him once more before running off to get something to do, hopefully a surgery. Instead, I was pulled into Cristina's patient's room to help her persuade a man to let her pull the plug on his husband, because that was the only option for him.

   "So this is it?" Sam handed us the sheets of consent. "Do we do it now?"

   "Unless... do you want a minute to say something?" Cristina asked him sympathetically.