The Rule Change - Chapter 10

"Maxon Schreave," I stated, smiling. "How did you get in here?"

**Sorry for the fake cliffhanger lol but read on for the real surprise**

He was laying on my bed, casually leaning back on his elbows. "I crawled my way through the air vent and - I'm lying, your door was open," he admitted bashfully.

I laughed, sitting on the foot of the bed. He moved to sit besides me. "You are quite stealthy," I remarked.

"Yes, you might even say I was trained for it," he said quietly with a light grin, running his hand through his hair. He turned his body a couple degrees to face me, his handsome features highlighted by the lamp on the table. "Thank you for earlier. You...relax me."

I nodded at his words, processing them. He grinned at my reaction, suddenly tucking a loose strand of my hair behind my ear. I blushed. His touch was so gentle.

"Sorry," he apologized, pulling his hand away. "So how did your evaluation go?"

"I would much rather hear about yours," I said, looking into his chocolate eyes.

"I chose the spear like my father suggested. I'm sure you went with knives."

"I did," I responded happily. We sat in comfortable silence for a while before Maxon began talking.

"I know the Games is next week but it's killing me not to tell you this." I raised my eyebrows at him in confusion and he ran his hands through his hair again before continuing. "I think you are truly amazing." 

"Thank you," I muttered shyly.

Before I knew it, his lips were pressed against mine. They were soft, tentative, and delightful. He smelled like vanilla. I found myself kissing him back, my fingers getting lost in his beautiful hair. He deepened the kiss and I could feel his adoration for me seeping through.

I pulled away much too late, our faces still only inches apart. "Get out," I commanded, moving to stand. "Get out."

He looked crestfallen as he stood up. "America, wait-"

"Please leave."

I hoped that he could see the regret for what I said in my eyes. And how much I enjoyed that kiss.

I just cheated on Aspen, I thought, flopping onto my bed. Aspen. He was the only person who truly understood me. He made me feel so safe and protected. He took care of me. And I took care of him. But I had just broken everything we had built.

We were all called down to the main room and I practically dragged my feet there. Aspen, Aspen, Aspen.

We were all in the common room and Maxon wouldn't meet my gaze. He looked lost. Marlee and Carter were besides me, holding hands. I beamed at them. They looked so happy. I observed the rest of the room. 

Something wasn't right. There were cameras everywhere. We weren't supposed to be shown to the public until tomorrow. Crews ran around the room, trying to find the best shots and lighting. What was going on?

In the midst of my thoughts, Gavril Fadaye popped up in the front of the room, all smiles. There was a giant screen above his head.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gents. Today, we have a special treat. We got your tributes of the year!" he shouted energetically. Celeste returned his enthusiasm with a hoot. "Thanks, Ms. Newsome." She took that chance to wave flirtatiously at the cameras.  "Now our wonderful president, President Clarkson, has made an amendment to the Hunger Games."

"Our president has been oh so gracious as to take more tributes than usual this year. People were packed to the brim to volunteer for this wonderful event and we couldn't have been happier. We are officially adding 10 new tributes to the Games. You will meet them all tomorrow, Panem. Make sure to tune in for that, or if not that, my dashing good looks," he ended with a wink, his dazzling smile never leaving him until the camerawoman said cut.

Of course there had been volunteers. Not for the "glory" but for the money. Just like how I was thinking of volunteering. But the Capital twisted the narrative to better suit them. Typical. I wondered who the ten would be.

"Now for you tributes, you haven't gotten rid of me yet," Gavril joked. "Up on this screen right above me will be your scores. As well as the scores of your new ten best friends," he said, shimmying his eyebrows mischievously. Say what you will about Gavril but the man knew how to be entertaining. "They will be out to meet you any minute now. Goodnight tributes and may the odds be ever in your favor." He left the impromptu stage, the sound of cameras clicking behind him.

Our scores along with our pictures were thrown up on the screen. Maxon was first. Celeste was second and I was somehow third. Some of the newer tributes filled out four through six, Kriss Ambers from District Five was at seven, and at eight...I looked at the board again to make sure that my eyes hadn't deceived me.

At eight, Aspen Leger.

**What do you think is going to happen now?**

**Thank you guys so much for reading! You are truly making my days. Have an amazing day and always question, never settle**

**Please vote and comment if you like**