The Secret Pt. 2 - Chapter 23

"What?  This really isn't the time," I said rushiedly. We trudged slowly forward, me gripping his large forearm. The tornado was still whipping steadily behind us, it growing in intensity

"America, the add ins were all because of you. Cameras were all over that building, the President knew about you and Maxon."

He continued, talking intently. "He came to me. He said his son couldn't fall in love with someone from our district. So he sent me in. To stop you guys relationship. It clearly didn't work due to what happened at the tribute interviews and the President came to me again that night. He said he was going to kill me in the Games no matter what. He would aim every environmental factor at me, I think he even convinced Celeste to hunt me. So that's why I broke up with you. To separate you from me. And to keep you alive."

I attempted to grasp all of this information but the tornado was still raging behind us. "We'll talk about this later!"

Marlee and Carter were about a mile out while Maxon still stood on a hill, positively fuming. We raced to him and the tornado continued to surge. We trailed Marlee and Carter. My legs were getting tired. Aspen instinctively picked me up and charged forward. Maxon fought to catch up. Then it died. The tornado died.

We stared at its vicious aftermath. The terrain was destroyed. The earth was torn, the world raggedly left behind.

"Leger, what were you thinking?" Maxon yelled. "She could have died and I-"

"Well, I'm not, Maxon," I said. "I'm not." Tension filled the air.  

"Aspen, welcome to our little club," Carter said, smiling. "The hats are in the process of being made."

I then realized I was still in Aspen's arms which I fumbled out of. I was blushing furiously and Maxon was standing with his arms crisscrossed.

"Happy to be here," Aspen replied. "Where are you hiding out for the night?"

"We have a tent," I informed. "We'll probably settle here for the night."

"Get farther away from the carnage," Aspen said, immediately taking control. "You should go more west."

Maxon sighed, slowly dragging his hand through his hair. "He's not wrong. We should get out of here."

Carter was near exhaustion, crouching on the floor. His shirt was drounched with sweat and grime. He had carried Marlee and had gone much faster than the rest of us.

"No, we should camp for the night," I spoke on his behalf.

"America's right," Maxon said. "It's better if we go west when we have gotten some rest. Marlee, Carter, you guys can have the tent."

"You guys can have the tent," Marlee countered. "We've been sleeping there all three days."

Maxon was about to debate but Carter grinned at him and he caved.

"America and I can take the tent," Aspen declared, already reaching for my hand. I pulled away.

"I can sleep outside. I'm used to it. Aspen, you take the tent."

He set it up, his anger making him take longer. I didn't know how to tell him that I had kissed Maxon again. Or that I was still processing everything he had told me.

The President didn't want me with Maxon since I was from District 11. But Maxon had proclaimed his crush for me on national television. So he was out to kill Aspen for letting that happen. But what did that have to do with Aspen? Was he telling the truth? And how could I keep my Aspen alive? And Maxon out of trouble?

"Sleep," Maxon said softly, laying down next to me. Marlee and Carter were cuddling near us, him kissing her forehead lovingly.

"You too," I replied. I smoothed down his hair then hesitated. What if President Clarkson would be upset? He took my pausing fingers and placed his own in between them. Maxon took my pausing fingers and placed his own in between them. He placed our intermittent hands on the ground. It was comforting.

Aspen huddled into the tent, his anger still evident.

**The secret is out. Were you surprised at it? And should Aspen stick with the group since the President is after him?**

**Next chapter is going to be the most action packed 😭 and sad😵**

**Thank you so much for reading. Have an amazing day, please vote and comment, and always question, never settle.*"