The Secret Pt. 1 - Chapter 22

**Aspen's secret. Its reveal begins. Lol I really need to stop with the dramatics**

Maxon and I walked hand in hand back to our camp, briefly getting lost.

"Next time, I'll lead us back," Maxon said, kissing my forehead.

"We'd probably wouldn't have gotten here today if you had," I teased, leaning into him.

"We'll see." He was peering directly into my eyes. I got lost in the auburn color of his iris.

"Should we come back later?" Carter asked, grinning from ear to ear. Him and Marlee had gotten out of the tent and were eyeing us mischievously.

I released Maxon's hand and felt the warmth fill my cheeks. "Marlee, you're standing."

She giggled softly, nodding. "Though you are using me to change the subject, yeah I'm standing. Thank you America. Without you and Carter, who knows what would have happened? And Maxon too."

We thought on that possibility before we began planning for the rest of the day. We sat on the grass besides our tent, all of us growing extremely focused.

"Our essential goal for today is water. The pond was...well, it can't be used," Maxon explained, still shooken from the pond. The blood, there was so much blood.

"It's not very ethical," Marlee began, "But someone must have clean water. Maybe we could get some from them."

I shook my head. "The risk may be too high. You're still not in fighting condition and their water has got to be protected. Carter?"

He sighed, rubbing his chin. He was starting to grow some light stubble there. "I don't know. Maybe there's another pond. Farther out. The Game makers love moving us North. Maybe there is something back there."

Maxon took in his words. "I agree, Carter. We should pack up camp and head North. If we don't get any water by the end of the day, we'll go with Marlee's plan."

Carter and Marlee disassembled the tent while me and Maxon talked, still on the floor.

"What groups do you think will have water?" I asked, us sitting shoulder to shoulder.

"What groups are there?" Maxon questioned, his face taking on a quizzical expression.

I analyzed all of the tributes I had seen so far. "I think Rezo is going solo. I'm assuming Celeste is with the Careers."

"Tallulah was killed the first day and so was Tuesday. Elise Whisks might still be alive but they don't get along. Without me, she doesn't have much left."

Her comments yesterday immediately made sense. "Oh," I said quietly,  "and I think Aspen's with Kriss."

Maxon got quiet, looking down.

"What?"

"I just can't believe he'd actually leave you in the Games alone." His empathy struck me to my core.

Marlee and Carter had cleaned up the camp and we headed in the northern direction.

"You sure you can walk?" Carter ask. Marlee shot me a look which made me laugh.

"I'm fine, Carter."

"I'd feel a lot better if I could carry you." She gave in, happily bundling herself in his arms.

We heard a sudden crack from behind us. My head whipped toward the sound. It was a tornado. And it was barreling our way.

"Run!" Maxon shouted over the howling winds. We sprinted away from it, chunks of dirt hitting us.

"America!" A male voice yelled from behind me. I looked to Maxon but his lips hadn't moved. "America!"

150 feet behind us, my first love was standing much too close to the tornado. I didn't flinch. In moments, I was besides Aspen, grabbing his hand and dragging him back to the group.

"What are you doing?" I shouted into his ear.

"This was the only time I could tell you. Without the cameras hearing," he said loudly.

Maxon was waiting for us on top of a hill, clearly angry. But I had to know. What was Aspen talking about?

**Next update. The Aspen Secret.**

**Maxerica or Asperica??**

**We crossed 200 reads last night. You guys are awesome, thank you for reading, thank you for engaging, thank you for commenting, thank you for voting. Y'all the best! Please vote and comment and have an amazing day**