Chapter Eleven

Startled I gripped my towel tightly, glaring. "How did you get in here?" I asked trying to calm my heart down.

He rose to his feet. "I'm sorry to startle you, but we need to talk."

We sure do. You don't just lead someone on like that then ditch them to make out with their best friend.
Well ex best friend.

"Yesterday I was drunk when I showed up here, I saw your boyfriend and when you didn't come down I thought you didn't want to go." He put his hands in his jean pockets and stared down at me with his red buttoned up shirt. He looked adorable.

"David's a friend." I glared at him. "You don't just assume stuff like that."

He nodded. "I'm sorry, but with Samantha I wasn't thinking. She was in need of a friend and I-"

He stopped when I rolled my eyes.

"Kendra, you didn't think we were dating did you?" His eyes widened.

Wait what? Now I sound stupid. Of course not I just met the man a few days ago. "No." I mumbled crossing my arms, feeling as water beads dripped from the tips of my hair onto them.

Ryan laughed. "Why would you get mad when I kissed Samantha then?"

My heart clenched. Was he stupid?
"I wasn't mad at you, but at Samantha. She promised me something but never went through with it." I lied.

His face filled with confusion, and his lips parted.

"How did you get in here?" I asked again, trying to calm down my nerves.

"The door was unlocked." He answered still confused.

David must have kept it unlocked after he went somewhere. Ugh! That man drives me insane sometimes.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "I need to get ready for work, I think you should go."

He nodded, and slowly walked out of the door.

Seriously, who does that? I would never walk into someone's house unannounced and go into their room. If he wasn't so adorable all the time, I would find it creepy.

Later on after work I'll need to install a lock on my bedroom door.

***

The entire time at work I thought of Ryan randomly walking into my house and making himself comfortable on my bed. Even though he was cute, it didn't give him the right. My mind also raced to David half the time, he really loved Clara. She was his everything. I felt bad for him that he lost her the way he did, feeling guilty for causing her fall. Making that incredible garden for Clara, for me?

David was constantly fixing up the house without even needing to ask him. If something was broken or loose the man fixed it for me. What could I do for him in return? There had to be something.

"What do you think?" I heard Alexandra's voice to my right in the kitchen as I grabbed a tray full of breadsticks, I started to bring it to the costumers when I heard her again. "It's the last puppy. Five weeks old, five hundred."

I turned my head to see her talking to another co-worker, showing him a picture on her phone. He shook his head no and walked away.

She's selling puppies?
I brought the order to the lovely newlyweds and placed it on the table before them. They smiled up to me with hungry bellies and thanked me. "No problem." I headed back to the kitchen to see Alexandra grabbing a tray with someone's order.

My mind shot back to the dream/memory of Ash. David loved that dog very much and he had to give him away to his brother after my death.

A few hours later, I clocked out and ran into Alexandra in the bathroom she was coming in while I was heading out. "Hey Alexandra?" She stopped walking and turned.
"Yes Kendra?"
I walked to her smiling. "Are you selling puppies?"

She slumped her shoulders stressed. "Yes, but for some reason I can't get the last male to sell. There's nothing wrong with him at all, I don't know why people don't want him."

"May I see what he looks like?" I asked.
Maybe I could get David a puppy? That would also make someone think twice before coming into my home when he got older.

Alex nodded and pulled out her phone, a minute later a cute black and white husky puppy stared back at me with the most beautiful blue eyes. My heart melted, how could anyone turn down this precious baby?

I was falling in love.
"I'll take him." I couldn't believe I was saying this. Dad would understand right? Since I'm technically renting the place from him doesn't mean that I have to ask his permission for everything?

Alexandra's eyes lit up with excitement. She looked as if a big weight lifted off of her shoulders. I grabbed my wallet and pulled out five hundred and gave it to her.

I couldn't believe I was getting a puppy. After our shift I followed Alexandra to her house. As we approached the front door of her log cabin, all I could hear were dogs barking. She pushed the door open and one small puppy rushed over to greet me, licking my face. To my left on the other side of the door, I heard nonstop barking. Must be the parents.

"On the way over here I called my boyfriend to lock up the parents." She smiled as a guy walked in the room. A little chunky, blonde hair with green eyes and a mole on his chin.

"Okay." I stared down at the beautiful little guy and picked him up, falling in love with him even more.
"Since you're the last, you can have the left over puppy chow." She walked over and handed me the bag. "What will you name him?"

I bit my lip and looked down at him. I wasn't sure. Not just yet.

***

Once I stepped inside, I put down the puppy. I didn't see David anywhere. I plopped down the bag of dog food and walked over to the couch and flopped down.

When David turns back to a ghost, this will make him look forward to next year, but then when he's gone I'll be the only one caring for him. Maybe I didn't think this through?

"David!" I yelled. The puppy slowly stalked towards me, then stopped.

I watched as he sniffed everywhere but cautiously. He was a little scared, but he'd be fine once he had gotten used to his new home.
Finally I heard steps coming down the stairs but they didn't creak for once. He must've fixed them!

David walked in with dirty jeans on and a blue muscle shirt that matched his eyes. His mouth widened as he looked at the puppy then me. "What is this?"

"Our new puppy. We are going to share him." I smiled. "I wanted to thank you for helping me out around the house."

Tears filled his eyes as he knelt down on the floor, embracing him. He had to have been thinking of Ash.

"What shall we call him?" I asked watching the puppy lick David's face.

David stared at him for a long moment before deciding. "I think he looks like a Dakota."