Chapter Five

I stood on the dock, the wind slapping my hair against my face and neck. It was a chilly morning, so I wore my red sweater, and blue jeans. I stared at the water, clutching the ring in my hand. Whatever was going on with me in that house was tied to this ring. I've had enough.

I don't know how that ring returned in my room, or why. All I know is that it needs to go!

With hardly any effort at all I dropped the ring, watching as the water swallowed it.
Was that the best decision? Probably not. It frightened me to keep it in the house though.

***

A few hours later, I sat in front of the local restaurant in my black 2005 mustang GT. I needed to find a new job in the area since my last one as an aide went down the drain, but did I really want to work in a place such as this?

Not really.
I slumped my shoulders and rested my head on the steering wheel, thinking of where else I could apply.
It doesn't hurt to put my name in?
I slowly removed myself from the car and locked it, sleep tugged at my eyes. I've been so tired from hardly not getting any sleep lately.

It wasn't long after, I was walking out of the restaurant. I had just applied for both the waitress and dish washer position, any would do I guess? I wish I could be like Samantha, and not have to work at all. Her parents are rich, and put money in her bank account weekly for her. I liked her but she was spoiled rotten.

I grabbed my car door and was just about to open it when a text lit up my phone. "Hey, I invited a few friends over for later. I have somebody I want you to meet, don't worry about the snacks I will be picking them up. ;)"

I pinched my lips together and narrowed my eyebrows. "Would it have hurt to ask? The place is mine in the first place!"

I looked up to see Daniel walking out of the restaurant, head down, trying to avoid contact with me.

I felt my nose twitch, my fists clenched in anger. I marched over to him, getting into his face. "What gives you the right to treat me like this? I thought we were friends Daniel." I barked.
He just walked around me as if I wasn't even there.
"Fine." I yelled as he walked faster away from me.
He acted as if I wasn't even his friend anymore, ignoring my calls and messages because a ghost threatened him and he almost got hit with the chandelier? Ugh!

I watched him walk until he was out of sight, his head down the entire time. Not wanting me near him. I've been his friend since sixth grade, but if he's going to be like this I would stop being his friend altogether. I didn't deserve this!
A tear slipped down my cheek as I sat down and shut the door.

      ***

The drive wasn't long back to the house, maybe about twenty minutes. My eyes glistened with tears, It was all I could do to focus on my driving. My heart ached and burned in my chest, a part of me wanted to curl up in bed and cry but another part of me wanted to say 'screw him!'

I didn't mean for any of that to happen to Daniel. At first I didn't believe him because I didn't believe in ghosts, now I do so I could probably help him through this but he wouldn't even give me a chance to talk to him.

I pulled into my driveway, noticing Samantha was still gone.

Good.

I walked in, dropped my purse, and headed upstairs to bed. I was hurting and wanted to wallow in my misery. I was starting to wish I had never moved here in the first place. The railing shook as I hung on to it, the steps creaked some more.