Chapter Thirteen

"So, you're only alive for fourteen days an entire year? The rest of the time you're a ghost?" Daniel sat on the couch, trying to put the pieces together of everything we just tried to tell him.

"I know it sounds silly but yeah, it's true." I handed Daniel the picture of David and myself back in 1841.

"So that's you as Clara?" He looked at me, then back to David. "How is this possible?"

"That's what I've been trying to figure out for 178 years." David walked over and knelt down beside me, handing Daniel his journal. "I've kept it up to date every year."

I could tell Daniel was in shock still, but he believed us. Daniel has always believed in this sort of thing since he was a child. Something bad happened to his parents that he never told anyone about, he was also frightened to think about it.

He flipped through the pages carefully, looking at the dates on the top of the pages, scanning the text. It was the same handwriting up to the current entry.

He handed the journal back to David, and then parted his lips to speak. "So, you're both destined for each other? Maybe he's here because you're meant to marry him again!"

I shot Daniel a look, and David laughed. "I'm not Clara."

"You are in a way Kendra, so therefore you are Clara." He added, making me facepalm myself on my lap.

"Anyways, you need to keep David a secret. If anyone found out about this, they would be over here harassing him all the time and other bull crap, we can't allow that to happen." He shook his head in agreement.

"David, Sir." He turned his focus to David. "I forgive you for scaring me crapless that one night. I would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes, and trust me she is only like a sister and will remain that way."

David did a sideways smirk. "Thanks. It means a lot."

Daniel bent down and picked up Dakota off the floor, and laid him on his lap sleeping. "I hope you don't mind me asking but, what does it feel like to be a ghost?"

Did he really just ask David that? I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Typical Daniel.

"It's like a nightmare that goes on forever, yet I am awake." David sighed then grabbed his belongings. "That's enough prying into my old life."

Biting my tongue I watched as David walked upstairs.

"So it wasn't a random guy that saved you from getting raped, it was your soul mate."

I nodded my head and interlaced my fingers together, watching as he pet Dakota gently, trying not to wake him.

After a moment he turned to me. "I'm not going to tell you what to do Kendra, but I just saw sparks fly between you both just now. I think you should give him a chance, the man is in love with you."

Ugh. Here we go.

                                    ***

I found myself trapped in a dark room all by myself, It had wooden walls and floors, if anything I was in a wooden box but in my pink ducky pajamas, and my hair dangling down my back. I was just in bed how am I here?

How is that possible?
Was I kidnapped?
Drugged?

Breathing heavy, I felt around for any way to escape. Flashing images of bloody people flashed through my mind uncontrollably. I tried so hard not to be frightened but I was, my body trembled and my throat hurt.

After a few minutes of exploring the room I finally called out. "Hello?"

No answer.

Another image came, but of Tony Hess, the man who tried to rape me a week ago, he was laying facedown in a pool of blood. His reddish blonde hair was dripping blood from the ends, blood was all over his face, his body?

My breathing quickened as I rushed to wall to wall, beating them, pounding them. "Hello!!" I yelled in frustration.

Still no answer.

Suddenly a crack from one of the boards allowed some light to shine through, revealing blood dripping down the walls from the ceiling.

Screaming I fell backwards into blood, and fell to the floor panicking.

"Samantha." A man's voice broke the silence. But that's all that was said?

"What about her?" I cried back, pinching my lips together and bringing my knees to my chest.

"Samantha!"
"Samantha!"
"Samantha!"

The Voice continued for a long time, driving me insane! No matter how many times I spoke up, it always repeated the same thing!

"Samantha!"

"My name isn't Samantha!" I screamed loudly, my heart beating a mile a minute.

Screaming, I jolted awake in a sitting position. I was so out of breath, sweat poured down my body like I running for hours. I pressed my phone to check the time "6:30."

I took some deep breaths, trying to calm myself down. My jaw was even trembling.

What was that?
That dream was so real?
Shaking my thoughts away, I made my way to the bathroom and hopped into the shower.

Water washed away the soap that was all over me, I brought up my hands underneath my neck and just stood there letting the hot water pour down the curves of my body.

Was I somehow feeling guilty for Tony's death? Was that why I was having that strange nightmare? If that's the case then why did that voice call out for Samantha?

After a moment, I turned off the water and pushed back the curtain, wrapping my towel around my body when my eyes shot to the mirror.

My heart stopped, my eyes widened in fear. The mirror had "Samantha." written on it.

Screaming I rushed into the bedroom and out into the hall almost running into David, he grabbed me pulling me into a hug. "Kendra, what's wrong?"

I trembled as I looked up at him. He looked all dirty, his jeans had mud on them and his white shirt was a little ripped up. He must have been out doing something. "Were you just in my bathroom?" The look of confusion on his face gave me my answer.

"No Kendra, I just got in from the garden." He tightened his arms around me tighter. "I'm here Kendra, you're safe!"

I pulled away from him and looked at him in the eyes. "Did you put the dream in my head?"

"What dream? Since five I've been out in the garden planting a flower, and relaxing."

Maybe I was overreacting? But then again how did "Samantha" get on my mirror? Unless...

There's another ghost...