1. Before

Zara's POV
I was eighteen. I was a fighter class pilot at the Galaxy Garrison. I had moved from Canada two years prior and made friends with a boy and two girls. The boy, Elliott, introduced me to his boyfriend, Levi. The girls, Calla and Koharu, were foster sisters and were nearly attached at the hip. Calla found the lion in a mountain cave while exploring. She felt attached to it and Koharu wouldn't just let us ignore it. Calla had trust issues.

I was nineteen, but only barely. We had found most of the lions and Elliott could read the strange language in the ship we found on a planet in space. The lions could fly. I didn't have a lion. Elliott offered to let me fly Yellow, but Yellow didn't like that idea. Levi wouldn't give up red, Calla reluctantly told me that she and Green were too close, and Koharu agreed with Calla about Blue. I didn't even ask. I didn't think there could be any other colors. Then Elliott found the diagram of something called Voltron.

I found the Black lion and was accepted almost immediately. We learned from the writing left on the ship and figured out Voltron ourselves. It was a long, complicated process and I was glad Elliott was there to keep Levi from strangling me, but I actually enjoyed it.

I was twenty when we nearly died for the first time. We made a promise that if something bad happened, we would separate the lions and go back to Earth. We would never tell anyone and we would hide the lions so the Galra wouldn't find them. Calla got better with people. Koharu was proud.

When I was twenty-one, Levi returned without Elliott one day. Yellow wasn't with red. I was worried. Levi went straight to his room and I could hear his sobs through the walls. Calla asked what was wrong and he stormed out and yelled incoherently. Koharu yelled back at him when Calla had a panic attack from the noise. Levi turned to me. "Elliott's dead!" He sobbed. "And it's your fault!" I tried to explain that I'd had no idea, that I didn't even know they'd left, but Levi had none of it. "Zara! I hate you!" He had shouted. He left and didn't come back.

Calla, Koharu and I left the castle on a planet called Arus with Black still inside for safety, and we left for Earth. We swore never to speak of Voltron again. On the way, we were attacked by Galra ships. Calla, in a moment of bravery, took Green and disappeared into the battle letting Koharu and I escape. Koharu dropped me off on Earth and went back for Calla. I waited in a nearby cave. I was relieved when the lions returned, but then I was confused. They didn't open their mouths to let Calla and Koharu out, they just dropped something each. Green flew off into the distance, Blue sat down, turned off, and didn't turn back on again. I picked up the dropped items. I looked at the dropped items and choked up. My stomach churned and I threw up in the corner. Koharu's forearm, hand gripping tightly to Calla's hand and wrist. I fell to my knees, sobs wracking my body.

I wrapped the broken limbs in cloth and walked up to the house where I knew Calla and Koharu lived. I cradled the limbs to my chest. A boy opened the door. He wasn't much younger than me, maybe a year. He seemingly recognized me and saw my pain-filled expression, and he let me in. There was another boy sitting at the table, apparently studying. The parents of the first boy were in the kitchen. They stopped cooking to face me. "Are you Jiro and Ayame Shirogane?" I asked quietly. Ayame nodded. I gently laid the wrapped limbs on the counter. "My name is Zara Thompson. While on a mission in space, Calla, Koharu, two others, and myself got stuck in a fateful situation. Your daughters taught bravely but-" my voice cracked and I clutched my fists to my chest, tears falling down my cheeks. "They didn't make it." I heard Ayame gasp and begin to cry, Jiro looked heartbroken. As I turned away, the boy who opened the door, Takashi if I remembered correctly, looked like he was about to break down. The other boy held him in his arms gently. I touched the arms gently a final time. As I went to leave, Ayame stopped me. "Please," she said, her eyes red and her voice scratchy. "Bury them with us. You were close with them." I nodded slowly. We buried the remains of Koharu and Calla Shirogane in the garden beside their house as a casket wasn't needed for an arm and a half. Everyone cried, even the boy whose name I didn't know. When I went home, I felt empty and hurt. I was the last paladin of Voltron. And I prayed there would never be anymore Voltron, it wasn't worth the pain.

I drew the picture at the top. It's the second one I drew with actual supplies and not my finger.