9. Iris

Zara's POV
When I was very young, five or six I think, my mom started drinking. I had been an accident and my dad never knew I existed. Mom started bringing men into the house and she would smoke and drink with them before going to the bedroom and locking me out.
Eventually, my grandparents took me in. At the time, I hadn't understood why I couldn't be with my mom. So a year later, we went to visit her. There was another man with her and she had a bottle in her hand as she grinned and told us something.
She was going to have a baby.
You couldn't even tell, she hadn't known for very long.
I didn't want another kid. I wanted my mom back the way she was.
Later that day, I overheard the man talking to mom about how he didn't want me over anymore. He said he didn't want "her bastard daughter to have any contact with his child."
I remember seeing red. I was beyond angry. This was my mother. He couldn't tell her what to do.
I remember grabbing one of the knifes mom used to tell me not to touch and shoving it into his stomach. But when I looked down and saw the blood on my hands after he had fallen to the ground, I was scared. Would mom hate me for what I did?
I turned but mom was grinning. She then told me what had really happened to all the other men. That was the night I learned that my mom had been a part of the organ trafficking that was going on. That was the day I learned how to properly carve out different parts of the human body and preserve them.
Eventually, my little sister Everly was born. But mom was arrested for organ trafficking a few weeks after and she was put in the system. I ran away before I could go too. I didn't want new parents, I wanted my mom. I stabbed the man who was holding me and I ran away. My name, Iris, was known as one of the worst murderers of the decade. I was never caught.
I eventually applied to go to the Garrison and changed my name to Zara. My mom wanted to name me that but Dad told her it wasn't girly enough. I've never told anyone that I was a murderer and I never will.

It's been a long time, huh? I like this chapter. I like how Zara's backstory is developing. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!