Chapter 10: The Gourmet Pt. 3: Beatdown

A/N: Another fight to finish this arc.

Anteiku, 20th Ward....
Kaneki sat on the roof as the rising sun lit the sky. He smiled and looked at the mask he had stolen. It was a plain white mask with two shaded eyeholes. He placed it beside him as he went inside to change. He had switched out of the dinner outfit he had donned to his usual Anteiku uniform. He tied the apron on and started with his early morning brewing.

Later.....
"Hang on. You got invited to a fancy restaurant and you didn't bother to invite me?!"
Kaneki rolled his eyes as he looked Hide who seemed to be still ranting, but the words were unintelligible now. He finished making the coffee and handed it to Hide who was still grumbling about "ungrateful friends" and "unfair privileges" while Kaneki smirked and didn't bother warning about the heat. He laughed inwardly when he heard Hide's yell and cursing.
"Hey, have you seen Nishio around?" He turned to Touka and shook his head.
"Haven't seen him since yesterday. Maybe he accidentally ingested human food." Kaneki suggested. Touka grimaced.
"Regardless, he should've at least have called us if he was going to be absent today." Touka said. Kaneki thought about it and nodded.
"Tell you what, my shift ends after lunch. I'll check out if he or Kimi is home. If not, I'll tell you." He offered. Touka nodded.

Later after lunch.....
Kaneki, now in a casual blue long sleeve and jeans, walked over to Nishio's place before he stopped and he tensed. He smelled blood. He walked over to the porch and tested the door. It was open.
'Shit.' He thought as he opened it and spotted more blood stains on the floor. He followed the stains and saw signs of a fight. A one-sided fight. He turned and grimaced as he saw Nishio breathing heavily and impaled on a metal pipe. Kaneki grimaced and walked over to Nishio and pulled him off the pipe, eliciting a yell of pain from Nishio.
"Damn it," Nishio rasped. "That hurt."
Kaneki shrugged. "I'd be surprised if it didn't." He commented before taking out a wrapped bundle of meat and tossing it to Nishio, who caught it weakly.
"Eat up." Kaneki ordered. "You'll need all the strength you can get."
Nishio did so as he looked at Kaneki.
"You know who did this?" He asked. Kaneki shook his head. "No, but I have a feeling I know who it is."
Kaneki stood up and caught a whiff of something else. He turned to Nishio who had gotten up and shakily walked towards him.
"Does Kimi own flowers?" He asked. Nishio shook his head.
"I've been meaning to get her some, but then this happened." He replied. Kaneki nodded as he followed the smell before reaching the porch and saw a white rose and letter. He picked up the letter and read it before sighing.
"What is it?" Nishio asked worriedly. Kaneki pocketed the rose for future use.
"Tsukiyama. He has Kimi and he'll be waiting for us tonight, at the chapel." He said grimly as Nishio's eyes widened.
"Why would he want Kimi?" He asked. Kaneki crumpled the letter.
"He thought I was going to kill and eat Kimi, so felt that we should share a meal together. You were a minor detail to him." He said calmly while Nishio seethed.
"That bastard! I'll kill him!" He yelled out before stumbling forward. He was caught by Kaneki who sighed and shook his head.
"Not in your condition. Let's get you patched up, then we can take the bastard down." He reasoned. Nishio reluctantly nodded.

Later at Anteiku.....
Nishio was grumbling while Kaneki wrapped a bandage around his chest. Despite being able to eat and rest a little, his healing factor was still a little slow. Kaneki reasoned that Tsukiyama might have injected him with powerful RC Suppressants. Touka also sat with them as she absentmindedly read a book while nodding as Nishio told his of the story before Kaneki joined in to tell his own side of the story. By the end of it, Touka's frown had deepened.
"Tsukiyama's always been on the crazier side. He was obsessed with finding the "true gourmet" taste and he seems to have found that in you." She stated. Kaneki nodded with a smirk.
"Look, I'm flattered and all, but I'm more interested in killing him than indulging him."
Nishio snickered While Touka nodded. Yoshimura walked in with a smile as he nodded to the rest of them.
"Do what you need to do. As much as I dislike the act of killing, it has been a part of my life as a ghoul and you must stop Tsukiyama before more people are hurt." He said simply. The trio nodded as they got up and made their way to the chapel.