Mayhem 12: Bitter-Sweet

Mayhem 12: The bitter-sweet scent of unfulfilled yet determined revenge enthralls me.
----

Claire's PoV

"Ah, sorry about that, Miss Chase. I had to rush up the package when I received notice," Miss Adelaide said as she handed me the case with blue contacts. I gladly accepted it.

"It's Raven now, ma'am."

"Oh? Well, it's just the two of us talking here. Wouldn't it be fine to take a break of being Claire for now?"

I shook my head in reply. Yes, I could move freely but being in such organization taught me that you'll still have to live to your alias even if you're alone.

Who knows who could be watching us right now?

She sat beside me and set two cups of coffee on the table. "It's important to take breaks, right? Besides, if you continue to live like this, you'll forget who you are."

"Chase was killed a long time ago. You wouldn't talk to someone who's dead already."

"I'm afraid to say that we don't have any evidence that Fayette Chase died."

"The reason why some people lived on is because they took things that the dead has left behind... and for Claire Raven, that would be Faith's vengeance," I try to bite out and thankfully succeeded.

"Touché," she replied with the slightest hint of surrender. I know that she would've said more to block me off but I'm assuming that she knows that I wouldn't stop.

It's already 7pm and yet here I am still. I was invited to a talk over a nice cup of coffee while waiting for Ryu to take whatever he needs. He's taking too long and I'm just growing tired already. We have to go back before 11.

Just... what does he need to find?

Impatience was already filling me up as I tap my foot silently under the table.

"You're suspicious of Brauss, aren't you?"

Within a second, I accidentally choke on my drink. Her gaze was fixed on me while calmly sipping her coffee. How did she know? Was it too obvious?

I set down the cup and shifted my expression to a rather relaxed one. "Why do I need a suspect for anything?"

"Well then, do you like him?"

"I... I-"

What the hell was that?

"I don't. This isn't high school romance, anyway."

"Aww, but I ship it though."

"Ship what? Pardon me but I don't remember any cargo being delivered elsewhere. What's with the short notice?"

She laughs and I remained serious. I don't find anything funny. Is she ill?

"That's not what I meant," she says as her laughter died down. "Anyway, you seem to be very cautious around him. Do you think he's that so-called Aidan boy you were looking for?"

I looked down. She still remembers him. She might as well remember how I cried and yelled at the air just eight years ago. For once, I felt my blood rush to my cheeks and my stomach starts to ache.

Embarrassment, perhaps?

Hell no. Why would I?

"Aidan?" I ask, mixing my voice with fake confusion. "I wouldn't waste my time suspecting a comrade as a person I don't even know. You of all people would know that, Ms. Adelaide."