Mayhem 15: Fall

Mayhem 15: Bow to those who are above and look down on those who've fallen- a rule composed by the greedy.
----

Claire's PoV

I could only hear my steady breathing and the sound of my shoes, each step echoing as I walked through the cold aisle. Every step made guards have all their eyes set on me, each of them with an alternating uniform of black and white. It was an uncomfortable feeling, if I dare give my opinion. I wonder if they argue just by giving off stares.

It was just hours ago when I relayed my plan to my so-called allies. Did they leak anything? That would mean that they're quick with their words. It's like a mere teenager gossiping about a minor issue.

The palace was huge and strangely quiet. Nothing compared to those fairy tales with a castle filled with endless chatter of nobles having the time of their lives. How many rooms are in this place? I could barely see any maids roaming around. It wasn't surprising though, yet again, I must say, it's very uncomfortable.

It was a long walk until I reached the door leading to the throne room. I took a deep breath before gazing up at the faces of stiff guards, both from different organizations.

"Claire Raven. I have received a message in regards of the queen," I said without stuttering a syllable.

They opened the door and I strode inside. I kneel midway on the red carpet. The temptation to slit her neck was enticing but I must hesitate. Right, I'm just a soldier as of now.

"Claire Raven, your majesty. I believe you have summoned me."

I try to take a glimpse of the queen I somehow despised. Her skin paler than I have expected and her long hair is tied up in a bun with her crown glistening from the light of the room's chandelier. Her gown was dyed with black and white, tainted with crimson red- the color of fresh blood. It reminds me of the queen of hearts from Alice in Wonderland.

In fact, this is Wonderland. Everyone has already gone mad.

"Raven," she trailed off as she stood up from her throne, striking steps towards me. "You look younger than expected. You're 18, right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

She circled around me, examining my figure. "Raise your head, dear. I'm fascinated that you were a top soldier despite your age."

I do as I am told and thanked her grace. Does she know what I'm up to? Did I make a wrong turn?

I shook off the thoughts on my head and quickly thought of a reply. "I appreciate your recognition, ma'am," I managed to say.

My heart pounded loud enough for me to hear. Cold sweat started running on the back of my neck. Something isn't right. I could feel it.

She wouldn't call me all the way here just to give me praise.

"How can I be of service to you?" I tried my best to sound humble.

Her smile was soft but I could feel her eyes darting doubtful stares at me. I try to hide my nervousness but my breathing was still unsteady.

"Let's see..." she trails off as she batted her eyelashes towards me. "I just want to know a few things about what's going on."

"I will try to answer ."

She took a seat on her throne and I remained standing before her. There seemed to be tension between us. This moment wasn't exactly what I expected but I have to make the best out of it. It's either I successfully manage to play my cards right or I die right here, right now.