Mayhem 14: Strings

Mayhem 14: Like a puppeteer and the story teller, I play with your fate.
----

Claire's PoV

"Pffft... HAHAHAHA!"

"What's so funny?"

"You've got one big dream right there," he said while trying to hold back his jolly laugh. I only glared at him as a response.

I clear my throat before he replied. "Rebuilding Gray Hat is one thing, eliminating the queen is another. You already know that doing that alone is nearly impossible-"

"Nearly impossible," I cut in, emphasizing those two words.

It was his turn to shoot glares at me. For once, I saw him as your average friendly neighbor and now he's back to being a grumpy old troll. Not surprising though. I've always dealt with people like him.

"Anyways," he started while handing a small strip of paper. I glanced at it and saw an handwritten address. "You know where to find us when you need help."

A scoffed escaped from my lips due to. his suggestion. "I'll keep that in mind. Although, I think you're the ones who would be needing my help."

I turn away from him and all I heard was a quiet snicker.

"Cocky... just like your sister."

I let myself stand there, gazing at the purplish sky. It was almost the crack of dawn. Just because he knows who I am doesn't mean I'll let him use Winter's relationship to pin me on a wall. I turn back to him with a maddening stare for a split second and wore a convincing smile afterwards.

"I bid my farewell here. One word that spreads across this place will be one bullet that would pierce through your skull," I reply.

He doesn't look shaken. Instead, he bows as if he was mocking me.

"Perhaps I should give you some advice before you leave," he calmly suggested. His words weren't cold, they weren't warm either. "If you would throw away the queen, who will take over?"

My train of thought stopped when his mouth spilled the puzzling question. He didn't wait for my answer and he leaves right away. I stand there, echoing the words in my head.

If I kill Queen Margaret, who will take her place?

I never thought of it. All this time I was blinded by the desire of eliminating someone who I think- no, someone I know would be the core of all this chaos. A war between dark and light, the disappearance of the people who stand in between. I never actually planned about what happens next.

My feet carried me back to the house and my mind tried memorizing every twist and turn back to the Legion's head quarters. It was already sunrise and no one but myself is present. I took the time to give myself a warm bath and to patch up a few wounds I've earned from my little quest.

"Claire!" a familiar voice yelled from a considerable distance. It was Ryu whose hair was covered in twigs and face with traces of dirt.

"Did a bear suddenly attack you?" I asked while gazing at him from head to toe. "Oh and by the way, you're late."

"No, you're just early," he laughs and ruffles my hair. I flinch a bit since the pain from the back of my head stings. He notices my discomfort and decided to take a step back. "Looks to me that you're the one who got attacked by a bear."

"Yeah, I got attacked... not by a bear though."

"Darn it, I couldn't find anything!"

Another voice cuts in our conversation. It was Nova who looks completely unharmed. She walked closer to us and eyed at us both.