Mayhem 8: Requiem

Mayhem 8: Sepia colored memories need to fade away but I still refuse to sing a requiem for you.
----

Claire's PoV

"I beg your pardon?" I asked while standing up in an instant and slamming my fist on the table.

Miss Adelaide looked worried when I did the gesture. It gave us a reason to stay silent for a while. It is only normal for her to know that I would react this way yet she still pushed herself to do it.

No matter how many times I'll have to say it, I will do so until the decision is in my favor.

"With all due respect ma'am, I decline the task given to me. It's just-"

"Too much?"

I looked away and nod my head. For the first time in eight years of serving the White Array...

I decline a mission.

"Claire, you aren't Faith anymore. Your duties as a soldier of the White Array must not be affected by your personal reasons..."

She trailed off and came behind me while gently placing her hand over my shoulder. She lowered her head slightly and whispered into my ear,

"Do it. If you want to get revenge, you'll have to go through this first."

The sun was about to set and we all stared at the house for a moment. Memories have pained me just by looking at it;

The house that once belonged to my family.

"Well, this is a pretty house," Ryu praised as he examined the surroundings.

The noise of Nova's motorcycle filled area. She arrived just a few minutes after us.

"I'm guessing that Ryu picked you up out of nowhere. Too tired to walk, sweetheart?" she asked.

I only frowned at her. Sweetheart? Like I said, I'm not a child.

"First statement is true. The second statement... well, I'm not sure. What do you think, Claire?" Ryu mused.

I rolled my eyes at him. To be frank, I think both of them are mocking me. We have Nova who thinks I'm a child and there's Ryu who thinks he's like a clever negotiator.

Dream on.

"So we have two choices. It's either we start moving in or we chat and waste our time. You decide."

They only started moving as a response. Nova entered the dusty house and started cleaning while Ryu carries our stuff inside. This place is fully furnished so all we have to bring is our personal belongings.

Nova and I share a room while Ryu gets to stay in his own room. He chose the smallest room, which used to be mine when I was younger. I shared it with my sister.

We were surprised by his choice because he would always choose the one that suites his taste...

And a small room isn't really his taste.

"Why would I share a room with either one of you? That would be awkward. Also, if I were to choose the master's room for myself, wouldn't there be enough room for your things?" he reasoned.

Fair enough decision.

"I'll arrange our room," I said.

Nova held a thumbs up and I proceeded to fixing our room. This is the master's bedroom that my parents owned.

Some furnitures are still here while most of them are replaced. Either way, it still gives me memories.

I opened the closet and saw the formal attire that we should be expecting.