Chapter 6

Copyright © 2018 Nicole Mckoy

Traci P.O.V.

I got some icing and swiped it on Jacob's nose. I laughed and he gave me a playful glare.

He got some icing and came for me and I ran. He chased me around the kitchen and ended up catching me.

He swiped some icing on my lips then leaned down and kissed me.

I wrapped my arms around his neck as his tongue licked the icing off my lips.

"Alright you two! I thought you were decorating the cookies not messing up my kitchen," my mother scolded.

I quickly moved back from Jacob embarrassed.

I felt like a teenager again getting caught making out with Jacob.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom and clean up," Jacob said.

Jacob smiled at me before he left the kitchen.

I walked back over to our half decorated cookies as my mother joined me.

"It's so nice seeing you two back together after all these years. It seems like no time has passed," my mother said.

"Yeah," I smiled.

"I missed seeing that beautiful smile of yours. Jacob always did have a way of brining out that beautiful smile in you. I have to say I haven't seen him so happy as I've seen him since you got back," my mother said.

"So has Jacob really not been seeing anyone since moving back?" I asked.

"No not that I know of," my mother said.

"Mom has Jacob ever talked about his time in the military to you?" I asked.

"No... why?" she asked.

"I just wondered about it. It's probably nothing..." I drifted off.

"Tell me what's on your mind," my mother pushed.

"It's just last night he had what seemed to be a bad dream but I don't know he just seemed to be somewhere else. I asked him if anything still haunted him from his time in the military and he said he was fine and for me to go back to sleep," I explained.

"Well knowing what he's been through I'm sure he has seen some things that has haunted him. But he's never spoken to me about it. I will say though when he came back after his grandfather died he was in a dark place. But eventually he got himself out of it and took over the farm. He's always helped me out around the house when needed. Sweetie I think Jacob is just fine. I know he's probably very happy he's reconnected with you," my mother said.

I smiled and Jacob came back into the kitchen.

"What did I miss?" he asked as he walked over to me.

"Nothing. I think the cookies are finished. We should get back to your place and change so we can head over to Robby and Staci's," I said.

"Sounds good," Jacob said.

"Thanks mom for letting us cook here," I said.

"No problem you two have fun tonight," my mother said.

"We will," I said.

I packed the cookies in a bowl then Jacob and I headed back to his place.

As Jacob drove I cuddled up beside him. He put his arm around me and I ran my hand up the side of his neck. I pulled out his dog tags and ran my fingers over them as I read them.