Epilogue

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Jacob P.O.V.

It was eleven thirty on New Years Eve. I was back in Texas sitting outside in a rocking chair, on my front porch, looking up at the stars while sipping on a beer.

Usually I'd be at the pool hall with everyone ringing in the New Year. But this year just felt different. I just wanted to be alone and process my own thoughts.

I took a swig of beer as I saw a car pull up beside my truck in the front yard.

I could recognize Laci's Jetta from a mile away.

She got out of her car and had a bottle in her hand.

She walked up the front porch.

"Hey," she said as she leaned against the railing.

"Hey," I said as I took another swig of my beer.

"Are you alone?" she asked.

I nodded as I rocked in my grandfather's old chair.

I could remember him sitting in this chair when I was a kid. He'd sit here and watch me and my friends play in the front yard. As I got older he and I would sit out here together and talk. We'd talk about life and my future.

I imagined more for myself by now if I was being honest.

Laci came and sat in the chair beside me. She put the bottle she brought down beside her chair.

"So Traci go back to New York?" she asked.

"Yup," I said.

"Are you two..." Laci said vaguely.

"We're nothing. She has her life and I have mine. It was stupid of me to ever think we could be something again. We're not kids anymore. We're thirty-year-old adults who have led very different lives for the last twelve years. As much as I love her and don't want to let the love I feel for her go, I know I have to," I said.

"I know this isn't the outcome you wanted Jacob. But you have friends here who love and care about you. Jacob you are a great man and you deserve all the happiness in the world," Laci said.

"I wish that happiness just could have been with her. When you truly love someone it's just really hard to let that love go," I said as I finished off my beer.

"I know. Believe me I know," Laci said.

"You talking about me?" I asked as I looked over at her.

"Jacob I think you and Traci realizing what you had should stay in the past is what's best for everyone involved. You said it yourself. You aren't kids anymore. We've all grown up a matured," Laci said.

"I'm just going to focus on myself right now," I said.

"Well just know I'm always here for you," Laci said as she picked up her bottle.

"So who's running the bar if you're here?" I asked.

"My father let me leave early. When he noticed you weren't at the pool hall he figured you needed someone to keep you company," Laci said.

"You're always looking out for me," I said.

"Well that's what friends do," Laci said.

"I'm glad we're friends. I never want us to lose this bond we have. I know we've crossed the line but I'm glad we are both mature to put that behind us and put our friendship first," I said.

"Yeah...." Laci said slightly disappointed as she opened the bottle of wine she brought with her.

"Always been a wine girl haven't ya," I teased.