TWO

"Wow, it's really awesome." Commissioner Gordon looks with his eyes wide open due to the shock at the picture of Aunt Martha's necklace. "Is it real? I mean, are those stones that big?" I nod firmly walking through the small room with my arms crossed over my chest, and around the empty glass cabinet, while we both wait for Robbins to come back. My high heels tap nonstop since I'm pacing up and down constantly and the security guard, who's standing near the door, looks at me scared before averting his eyes to the display case, shaking his head. "But how much costs something like this in the market? And how is the thief going to sell it under the radar?"

"The necklace was stolen to order most likely," I answer walking four steps and turning around: the room is really small. "The person who stole it has already a buyer that wants it for its private collection, even if he/she can never wear it in public, or maybe they want to disassemble it and sell the stones one by one: those are old diamonds and they aren't marked with laser so we can't follow their trace like it happens nowadays."

"I understand... do you have any idea what happened?" I stop right next to the glass cabinet, staring at it with rage while taking a deep breath before breathing out slowly.

"No." My answer echoes through the room, small, without windows, with only one door that was being watched permanently by the guard. The reason why he looks at me scared is because he knows we suspect him, the only way someone could've got his hands on that necklace was walking through the door and he must have seen this guy, he must have let him in somehow or he must have left his post. He denied everything, of course, and Robbins has gone to check the surveillance cameras footage. He's the owner of the insurance company in charge of organizing this exhibition and monitoring the security system and I was there to check every step and gave my approval to the plan: the number of guards, the number of cameras, where to place them, Gordon brought some police officers as additional support... Everything was perfect, I made sure of that, I checked it twice... I can't understand what's happened...

"This glass cabinet, is it similar to the others?" the Commissioner asks while watching it closely, he knocks at the base with his knuckles just in case it's hollow and checks the joints of the glass box on top of it.

"Yes, it's exactly the same," I answer rolling my eyes. First thing I did when my father vanished with the guests was checking every inch of that display case and then the room looking for trap doors or a loose tile, a hole via which someone could've sneaked into... but I didn't find anything strange. The necklace has just disappeared into thin air... unless the invisible man stole it. I stop abruptly near the wall, could have someone invented a device that allows you to camouflage like a chameleon and blend in with the surroundings in order to be invisible? But a thief with such an advantage wouldn't steal a simple necklace, it doesn't make sense. It'd be easier for him to sneak into a bank and get all the money, no one would notice and he wouldn't have to sell the stones later.

"Kate..." Robbins walks into the room in a rush and gets closer to me, handing me a tablet. "He's telling the truth..." he whispers grimacing and I frown while watching the footage. The guard is standing next to the door and I can see myself, wearing my jeans and my Aerosmith T-shirt, followed by two police officers that stay outside chatting with the guard while I get into this room. There aren't cameras in here but I remember what I did: I typed the code on a small keypad, opened the glass box, placed the necklace as I pleased on the black velvet and I closed it again. I checked that it was properly locked... twice. I can see myself walking out of the room, drawing the curtain and talking to the guard. I leave with the officers and then... nothing; the guard stays in his post without moving, guests start arriving some minutes later and they walk through the lobby but no one gets closer to the door and the curtain doesn't move. Nothing weird happens.