TWENTY-EIGHT (Kate POV)

I can feel tension in Dani's back while she leans her body on my side and her arm encloses my waist, my girl doesn't want me to do this, obviously, but the truth is that I don't know how to avoid this situation... everybody is looking at me waiting for an answer and Kate Kane has a reputation of being reckless to uphold. And in addition to this, I want to do it: I owe James a good beating. I was an insecure and scared girl in West Point who didn't have her father around for the first time to take care of her obsessively the way he did since her mum died and her sister disappeared, I was alone and had to work my way ignoring the hostility of my comrades who thought I'd get a special treatment because my father was the Colonel Kane. Actually, instructors made it even harder because they expected so much from me and they didn't want people to think they were treating me better... Pressure on my shoulders was almost unbearable and James harassment made it even worse till I met Sophie and she helped me to carry on.

"Are you sure? You should know that I've been working out hard..." I answer smirking and Dani fidgets next to me. I've been doing something more than just working out, to be honest, I've become Batwoman, I've travelled and learnt tricks from the best soldiers all over the world but also from the enemies living in the underworld who have fought me. Even from my Cousin Bruce's diaries... James looks too confident and has no idea what's coming for him although, on the other hand, I should be careful: I'm not wearing my suit and besides, if I show them that I'm very good at fighting or if someone like Cobalt Blue has been watching Batwoman closely, maybe they could identify some of my usual movements when I fight. Damn it...

"I can imagine it... all those butch lesbians work out hard in order to be able to show off their abs later... I bet you take dozens of selfies in front of the bathroom mirror pulling your T-shirt up and you sent them to your horny little French lady... Unfortunately for you, that's not enough to be considered a fighter and not even your father has hired you in his security company." Some spectators laugh their asses off while my girlfriend stares at the jerk in disbelief before leaning to whisper in my ear.

"Kate... rip him apart, smash him, kick his ass, step on his head, tear him to pieces... If you lose this fight, you won't feel my tongue in any sensitive spot of your body ever again, c'est promis." I blink shocked by my girlfriend's harsh tone of voice, who's looking at James like she wants to kill him with her own hands.

"All right," I whisper shrugging before taking my leather jacket off and unbuttoning my shirt. "If my vindictive girl wants blood, she'll get blood... you know I can't live without your tongue, my love." Dani smiles smugly while holding my clothes and I jump on the ring, our bookie gets closer to bandage my knuckles and looks pretty excited by this turn of events.

"You've won $2,400 but you can't bet on yourself, I'm sorry..."

"But I can do it, n'est-ce pas ?" Shade is hanging my clothes from a rope and taking a bottle of water and a towel from a table before moving closer to the ring again. The boy nods reluctantly and my girlfriend smiles. "Okay, my money's on Kate 'Hell's Baby' Kane, I bet she'll knock him down in five minutes..." Stony silence falls on the castle for a second before spectators go crazy, calling their bookies frantically, betting their cash on James or on me while they wonder who will win or why my girl looks so confident. I roll my arms and shoulders, warming up my muscles, and I try raising my leg and kicking the air... yes, the denim fabric with spandex allows me to move freely. Dani hands me my bottle of water and I take a sip while her eyes rake all over my abs, following the lines of my tattoos, licking her lips hungrily. I can't help snorting while leaning my hands on the rope both sides of her torso, tilting my head pensively.

"Five minutes? Seriously, babe? Couldn't you make it harder for me?" Shade smiles and leans forward till her lips are almost grazing mines and her breath fans my face.