ELEVEN

"No! Don't you dare to run away! Fuck... I don't have time for this..."

Unfortunately, criminals have the bad habit of not doing what the authorities tell them when they got caught red-handed pushing a poor old lady in order to steal her bag and breaking the window of a car trying to escape. I bumped into them by chance when I was heading to my apartment, I managed to knock one out with a well-aimed punch and the lady got her bag back and ran into her building safely but the other thief decided to escape and now I have to chase him through Gotham's alleys...

"Fuck!" I yell hiding behind a dumpster, that asshole has a gun and has shot me before running through the door of an abandoned warehouse. I walk cautiously in the dark, I don't feel like having a new hole in my body, not tonight of all nights... "Oh, come on! You know I'm going to catch you eventually..." I peek out from behind a massive wooden box and move forward slowly, monitoring the shadows around me to check which one is moving. "Seriously, this is very inconvenient for me... I have a date, you know that? And I'd love to arrive in time for the first time in my life..."

But criminals don't care about you having a beautiful French lady, with soft skin and a naughty tongue, waiting to have dinner in a fancy restaurant and willing to share a chocolate dessert and they insist on running away, shooting guns and hiding when you should be at home getting dressed. No, I don't have time for this definitely and I've already checked half of the warehouse: it's pretty clear that this guy is hidden at the back of this big room but it could take some minutes to find him if I have to walk carefully and he tries to shoot me, I don't have some minutes... My patience is running out and I think it's time to bring out the big guns. I take a flashbang from my utility belt and throw it to the darkness before covering my ears with my hands and closing my eyes. The sudden light and noise explosion only lasts for two seconds but it's enough to blind my enemy and stunt him... I spot him finally kneeled down on the floor holding his head with his hands, whining like a baby while I kick his gun away.

"I told you I was going to catch you eventually..." I growl angrily grabbing him by his shoulder violently and shoving him out of the warehouse, dragging him unceremoniously down the street till we arrive to the spot where his friend is still unconscious. I handcuff them together and call the police before running to my bike and rushing towards my building. "Fuck! I'm late..."

The service elevator that leads to the hidden bunker has never seemed so slowly to me, I tap on the floor with the tip of my boot nervously till the door opens and I push my bike inside, I remove my mask and wig with a sudden and painful movement and struggle with one of my boots while jumping on the other foot. Someone clears his throat behind me and I turn around surprised, even if I know it can only be one person...

"Kate..."

"Hello, dad. I don't have time to talk, I have a date with Danielle and I'm terribly late... damn..." I speak fast while twisting my arms trying to reach the zip of my suit, it's so tight that putting it on is really hard but taking it off when you're all sweaty is a nightmare.

"But..." the Colonel gets up from his usual chair in front of the computer.

"Seriously, you won't believe it. It's been two boring and calmed nights and the very same day I have a date, a stupid criminal shoots me... People are crazy in this city, I swear... Oh my God, it's so late..." I cry when I see the clock on the wall, I manage to get rid of my suit finally and leave it on the floor while running towards the bunker door in my underwear.

"Kate Kane!"

"Yes, Sir!" I answer standing at attention when hearing my dad's command voice imposing control. It's been an instinctive movement, I couldn't help it... no one disobeys the Colonel when he talks to you with that tone.