TWENTY-FIVE (Dani POV)

"Are you ready?"

"Oh my God, Kate." I turn around abruptly when I see her reflection in the mirror. "Tu me coupes le soufflé..."

"What?" The beautiful woman looks at me confused while fixing the cuffs of her spotless white tuxedo shirt, unbuttoned on her chest to show her long platinum and diamond necklaces and the outline of some tattoos. Her black pants fit her legs like a glove and the patent leather ankle boots have some rivets as an embellishment; I can't help chuckling because Kate needs to show her rebellion somehow.

"You take my breath away, ma belle..."

"Are you kidding me? Look who's talking... Come here..." I stand next to my girlfriend and she puts her arm around my waist before checking our reflection in the mirror with a cocky smirk on her lips. My dress made of silver tulle with a sweetheart neckline embellished with crystals on the top is a bit more revealing than other dresses I'm used to wear but it looks fantastic next to her sober outfit. "Thanks for letting your hair down, I like those soft waves on your shoulders..."

"Well, I couldn't refuse after such a kind request..."

"So that's the secret to get your cooperation... From now on, I'm asking you whatever I want on my knees and with my head between your thighs..." Her smirk grows wider.

"Batwoman..." I growl as a warning while feeling my cheeks turning red as a beet and she shrugs innocently. "Let's go to the car or we'll be late."

My girl was determined to make me forget the nightmare we lived in the sewage system with incredible sex, delicious muffins and hugging me tight all night long... I must admit I was really busy being spoiled and had no time to think about spiders. Luckily... Besides, I don't really want to remember it since I'm ashamed of my reaction the other day: I remained frozen while Kate did all the work and she saved my pathetic ass when I was unconscious. I'm supposed to be her assistant and I must be strong enough to rescue Michel from Cobalt Blue's hands but I can't do that if I get carried away by hysteria. It won't happen again, I'll be supporting the bat on everything she needs from now on and she'll understand that I'm a fighter worth of standing next to her in the battle. I'm not running the risk of being left behind in the bunker with her father.

Eventually, the real world knocked on our door after spending two days cuddling on the couch eating popcorn. Colonel Kane came to visit us, to tell us the latest news and check how his daughter was doing after almost burning in a ball of fire. Actually, her burns weren't serious and a bit of ointment was enough to fix it, just like she said, but the outer layer of her suit got damaged and Jake worked all night long in order to leave it in immaculate condition again. At least, he brought bagels for breakfast...

"There was nothing..."

"What do you mean? I don't understand..." Kate opens the box and smiles before getting closer to the fridge and taking cheese, smoked salmon and berries jam while I make coffee and listen carefully.

"No sign of Cobalt Blue or his terrariums, bed, couch, desk, carpets or lamps... everything has vanished." We both turn around and stare at him utterly shocked. "I swear. We needed almost 24 hours to open that damned door, it was reinforced like the one of a bank vault, and we had to bring a laser to cut the steel but we managed to do it finally... We found an average room of the sewage system, with damp walls made of bare stone and two new tunnels: I bet he used those to escape from us. If it weren't for the fact that I trust you, I wouldn't believe that there was some kind of deluxe hotel room there. It's pretty clear the criminal has changed the location of his den but he could be anywhere under Gotham."

"How did he escape so fast carrying all his furniture?" Kate grabs her cup of coffee and gives me a bagel in exchange.

"His army is well-trained and they know the sewers. Cobalt Blue seems to be a smart guy and he had an emergency plan in case his den was compromised, most likely... Those are bad news for us, it means that we must remain alert... Luckily, we've found the brooch of your stepmother's friend and the Mayor's Rolex too at a pawn shop and we handed the jewels back to their owners. Unfortunately, journalists keep asking about the missing aquamarine and new rumours have emerged these past days..."