FIVE

Well, 20 minutes later isn't that bad... I've done worst and my former partners Renee and Maggie have left some restaurants furious after waiting for me several hours. If I'm lucky tonight, and Danielle lives up to the French people's reputation of being unpunctual, she may only had to wait 10 minutes. I hand the key of my car to the valet and take the ticket before running through the door of Chez Joel, almost tripping over my high heels...I don't know why I bothered to dress so fancy today: a grey pant suit with a white T-shirt and an animal print silk scarf around my neck to give a funny touch. I guess that I'm trying to make a good impression... this is the first time in a while that I'm willing to make an effort to please a girl. The hostess greets me with a kind smile and she doesn't even blink when she sees me arriving in a rush, blushing and breathing heavily like I'm crazy.

"Good evening, can I help you?"

"Yes, Miss Danielle Mallery's table, please?"

"Of course, follow me please." The restaurant is lovely: dark hardwood floors and grey walls, French doors in white colour that lead to an inner courtyard with trees, a glass chandelier hanging from the ceiling, spotless white tablecloths, mirrors with golden frames... really European and decadent but modern at the same time. Our table is close to a wide window and a red carnation stands out in a small porcelain vase. "Sit down, please. I'll bring you the wine list..." The hostess walks away leaving me confused while monitoring my surroundings looking for my date, it can't be that I got here before her... that would be taking the French lack of punctuality too far.

"Bonsoir, Kate." Danielle materializes behind me all of a sudden scaring the hell out of me and catching me off guard when she leans forward and kisses my cheek. I smile while looking at the floor out of the corner of my eye trying to find out why I haven't heard her coming... okay, it's because she's wearing cute red ballet flats instead of high heels that match the red leather belt and the hem of the cuffs and collar of her dark blue dress. The tight pencil skirt inspired by the 50s fashion makes her look like a brunette Marilyn Monroe.

"Hello Dani, you look beautiful..." I whisper while pulling a chair for her. "I'm sorry I'm late, I got held up at work. I hope you haven't waited for a long time."

"Oh no, don't worry, I arrived barely ten minutes ago," she answers playing with her napkin nervously and I realize that her cheeks are slightly red.

"Where were you?" I ask with curiosity and a hint of suspicion hidden in my tone of voice: I can't help it, mistrust is an essential part of my job. Danielle leans forward to get closer and whispers:

"Do you see that guy with a dark suit and a blue tie sitting at the other side of the room?" She points with her thumb and I look at the table near the door that leads to the terrace discreetly. I nod perplexed, I don't understand what's going on... "I worked with him in my former company, before Robbins hired me, and when I saw him I thought the polite thing to do was to go and say hello, take some interest in his life... We chatted for about 5 minutes but I got the impression he wasn't happy to see me and then I realized..."

"What?" I whisper in response getting closer to her face.

"The blonde sitting at his table... she's not his wife..."

"Oops!" Danielle blushes even more and I can't help chuckling. "He probably thinks you're going to rat him out to his wife." She shakes her head while looking at the waiter getting closer and leaving the wine list and the menu on our table.

"I barely know his wife, I met her only once in one of those boring Christmas parties. All right, Miss Kane... Parlez-vous français?" she asks while checking the menu.