Chapter 13

Lillian closed the book as she finished the last page and set it beside her. It was already late evening and the light from the setting sun bathed the room in a red hue. As Lillian sat up from where she lay, she was confused that she had gone most of the day without being bothered. Getting off the bed, she slowly walked to the door and peeked out into the hall. Cyrus had never said she wasn't allowed to leave the room, but she also hadn't been informed on where she was allowed to go in the large house. However, the sound of her growling stomach quickly made her decision as she left the room and walked down the hall towards the first floor. 

        She reached the first floor and found the dining hall with ease, now she just needed to locate the kitchen. She walked up to a pair of closed double doors to the side of the dining room table and slowly opened them. She was surprised to find herself walking into a large Italian style kitchen. Just looking around felt like she had stepped out of California and into Italy itself. The oven was set into one wall with the microwave and a set of cupboards above it, while the large silver fridge was next to it. On another wall just adjacent to the fridge sat the stove which was set into a stone arch way of sorts that gave the kitchen a sort of old time feeling. The cupboards took up what was left of the wall beside the stove with a long marble counter top above cupboards and draws. As she moved to the large marble island that had a sink set into it with a dishwasher on one side, she noticed that the wall parallel to her was completely made of stone and had a huge old time fire oven that she believed was probably used to make things such as bread and pizzas. 

        All together the kitchen was amazing and as she walked to the fridge she found the top two doors were nothing but fridge space while the drawer below it was the freezer space. Letting herself stare at the large fridge for a moment, Lillian was unaware of the eyes that watched her from another door way from beside the bread oven. Shaking her head and finally focusing on the items inside the fridge, she pulled out a few things before looking around for a loaf of bread. She found one on the island in a bread basket. 

"Is this home made?" Lillian muttered quietly to herself as she noticed how the bread wasn't in a plastic bag like store bought bread. 

"I believe George made that yesterday morning, so it should still be good." A voice made Lillian jump and grab the closest weapon, which happened to be a knife from a knife block beside the sink, before turning to face the source. She was met by a tall form leaning against the door way beside the bread oven and a pair of dark eyes watching her calmly. 

"Take it easy, Princess. There's no need to use that." He said looking at the knife with very little concern. 

"Jeez Cyrus didn't any other Fallens ever teach you not to sneak up on a Hunter. I could've stabbed you." Lillian growled dropping the knife on the counter. 

"You'd have to be able to hit me first little miss hunter." Cyrus replied stepping into the kitchen. She glared at him angrily for his comment. If she had thrown the knife she doubted he would've expected it, but she wasn't going to argue. In fact if she could avoid talking to him as much as possible she was going to. 

        Turning the bread on the counter she sliced off a few slices of bread using the knife she dropped and began making a sandwich for herself. She could feel Cyrus' eyes on her as she moved about the large kitchen, but she did her best to not fidget. Once her sandwich was made she moved to the other side of the island and sat in one of the tall bar chairs that were there. She tensed slightly as Cyrus moved to the chair beside hers and sat down as well.

"Don't you have some trouble or misfortune to cause some human?" Lillian spat angrily as she took a bite of her sandwich. She hated him being this close to her, she had silently been hoping she wouldn't have to deal with him again until tomorrow since he hadn't bothered her all day. 

"I thought I'd keep you company for a little while, after all you've been holed up in the room all day with a book from what I hear." Cyrus replied reaching into a fruit bowl and grabbed an apple from it. She glanced over at him angrily, not sure if he was trying to annoy her or if he just did it unconsciously. 

"Well I don't want your company." She grumbled taking another bite of her sandwich. She was quickly losing her appetite the longer she sat next to him. Her body was tense, ready for a fight if he tried anything like he had that morning. 

"Relax Princess, I'm not going to do anything." He responded biting into the apple. 

"Yeah like I'm going to believe that." She mumbled dropping the sandwich on her plate. She got up and took the plate to the fridge setting the sandwich on one of the shelves. She may have lost her appetite but she could come back and eat it later. 

"You should finish eating that, George is out for the evening on some errands for me so he wont be here to cook dinner." Cyrus said. He seemed to be showing more patience with her now unlike he had this morning. 

"I'm not hungry anymore." She retorted walking out of the kitchen. The scraping of a chair told her, he had gotten up to follow her. 

        Hoping to get away from him, Lillian hurried up to the second floor and to the room where she quickly pulled another book out and laid on the bed. 

"Are you going to keep trying to avoid me?" Cyrus asked from the door way as she stared at the book. 

"Yes." She replied angrily moving so her back was facing him. 

"Am I really that horrible?" Lillian spun and glared at him. His question was a ridiculous one and his face appeared to show no care for her answer. 

"You are the worst!" She spat, "You are nothing but a black hearted Fallen who thinks he can take whatever he wants and that no one will get hurt or there will be no consequences!" She glared at him for a moment longer before turning away from his dark gaze and returning to her book. He was a Fallen, if he thought for moment that she would ever forget that then he was wrong. Fallen were nothing more than traitorous Angels who were the worst of the worst. 

        She barely registered the book she was reading as she felt his gaze on her for several moments. Finally after a long silence, the sound of his retreating footsteps could be heard and Lillian immediately let out a sigh. She wanted to be home with Jack and her fellow Hunters, but here she was trapped with a fallen. 

"I miss you, Jack." She whispered allowing a few tears to fall from her eyes. She quickly wiped them away and returned to staring at the book. She wasn't really reading it, but it was a way of escaping the hell she had been thrown into.