Chapter 1

Lillian strolled the dark, empty streets of South town, San Diego. She watched the shadows, seeing things only a Hunter could see. Rats scuttling through the alley ways while the street cats stalked them from behind garbage bins. Humans weren't privy to the fortunate gift of night vision like she or her fellow hunters, but that's what happened when you are created to hunt Fallen Angels.

She stalked down a side alley that was bathed in shadows, drawing a long blade from the sheath on her back that, to human eyes, would appear to be nothing more than an umbrella. She could sense the threatening presence of a Fallen as she walked further into the alley. She was itching for a fight tonight. Especially after sensing another Fallen following her around.

She snuck closer to the Fallen and was a bit surprised when he suddenly spun around and leapt at her, smirking.

"What's a pretty little girl like you doing out all by herself, shouldn't you be in bed." The Fallen asked mockingly.

Lillian simply sighed and rolled her eyes, so many of these earth bound Angels thought she was younger then she was. Of course, she was used to it so instead of engaging him in this small talk, she simply sliced her blade at his chest. He barely avoided it as she struck at him repeatedly her strokes quickening as her anger grew. She could still sense the other Fallen watching her, as if he were her personal stalker. Though, she knew not where from.

"Ahhh!" She screamed catching the Fallen off guard and taking her chance to shove the sword straight through his chest, her eyes burning with the fire of victory.

The Fallen screamed as flames engulfed him and turned him to nothing but a pile of ash. She knew the Fallen would return again once he'd recovered in hell, but maybe he'd think twice next time before he decided to come to her town.

Lillian stiffened because she swore she heard a soft masculine chuckle behind her. She spun around with her sword at the ready, but there was no target to aim at. She shook her head angrily and sheathed her sword before stalking out of the alley way. She felt a presence following her the whole way down the street, until suddenly it vanished. Lillian stopped and allowed her senses to wander out further, if he was striking she wanted to know about it.

However, a flash of light behind her informed her to a new arrival being the reason as to why her invisible stalker had vanished so suddenly. She spun on her heels and turned to face the gorgeous man who stood behind her. Dressed in casual jeans, a white button up shirt and a pair of white tennis shoes, the man looked almost out of place in his clothes, like he didn't belong in them. His eyes were a piercing blue so bright that it would've made a human stare in awe and his hair, short, yet slicked back, and a golden bronze color, he almost appeared unearthly. But of course he was. After all no one would expect an Archangel to be ugly.

"What do I owe the honor of this lovely visit, Raphael?" Lillian asked brushing her long blond ponytail over her shoulder with a bored expression.

"He's returned to town, Lillian. Gabriel wants you to be careful." Raphael said stepping closer. His voice was smooth and melodic almost like a song only without him actually singing.

"I can handle myself, Raphael. I'm not that teenager he got the best of five years ago." Lillian replied, her dark gray eyes meeting Raphael's.

"I know that, but this isn't just any Fallen Angel you are dealing with child, this is one of the best and he knows it and has rubbed it in our faces for centuries." Raphael replied pointedly narrowing his eyes at the young woman.

To him she was still that little girl who'd been more eager than any to prove her worth, to prove what she could be, that she belonged.

"We just want you to be careful, however he should be your top priority while we have yet to find anything he has been involved in recently that would warrant him being sent to hell, he's done enough in the past to earn a permanent slot on the list of priorities." He said. Lillian nodded and turned to walk away.

"Lillian?" She stopped at the sound of Raphael calling her, "Be careful child, you are far too important to loose."

She closed her eyes for a second, wishing he meant those words differently than what she knew them to mean. Taking a deep breath she nodded and marched off her eyes straight ahead.

Not long after her departure from Raphael, her stalker had returned. She sensed them almost immediately. Fine if he wanted to play this game, she could play it too. Tomorrow night she'd show him exactly how much she'd changed. Until then maybe it would be best if she stayed at her partners place, just until she was ready to face him.

Lillian trudged up the stairs to the flat of her only known friend. She knew he'd moved out of the flat they shared because he'd wanted his own place, but she didn't want to go back to her place where she'd be alone and watched by 'him' all night.

Pounding her fist on the door, she shoved her hands in the pockets of her jeans as she waited for the door to be answered. A young man opened the door a smile on his face until he saw who was at his door. Great so she obviously wasn't going to be a welcome guest tonight. The man's short brown hair fell in his dark green eyes slightly as he leaned against the door and sighed.

"What is it Lillian?" He asked tiredly. Obviously she hadn't been who he was expecting at his front door.

"Well excuse me Jack for remembering we're partners. I'm tired and I don't want to walk all the way back to my place tonight." Lillian growled in reply, pushing past him and into the living room. Jack sighed in annoyance and shut the door.

Lillian cringed inwardly at his apparent want for her not to be here, she remembered a time when he never let her out of his sight. Now it seemed all he cared about was the human he was pining after. Lillian pushed her emotions down, like she always did, and went to the couch. Removing the cushions, she pulled out the couch bed that lay hidden underneath.

She disappeared into one of the extra bedrooms of the flat, feeling Jack's green gaze follow her the whole time. She knew he was staring at her with a look of annoyance and anger, but she didn't acknowledge it as she returned with a few pillows and some bed sheets.

"So you're staying the night?" Jack asked angrily. Lillian ignored him and went about setting up the couch bed with the sheets and pillows.

"Lil!" Jack growled angrily. She stopped mid-motion, a pillow in her hand, and looked over at him briefly before placing it on the bed.

"Your house is ten minutes away. What are you doing here?"

"I'm tired." She replied simply, throwing her sword and two long blades under the couch before sitting on the bed and kicking off her black boots.

"Any other night you'd have walked the extra ten minutes to your own bed, why are you sleeping on my couch!?"

"I told you, I'm tired, look I'm not gonna stop you if you had plans just leave me to sleep okay."

She lay in the bed and threw the blankets over her as she rolled on her side. She rolled over so her back faced Jack, not allowing him to see the amount of hurt and pain his anger was putting on her.

"Fine just go home in the morning okay." Jack said with a defeated sigh before heading to his own room.

Lillian listened to his foot steps retreating and the click of a light switch before the lights in the living room went out. She gave a shaky sigh as she lay there, she'd never thought a time would come when she couldn't even rely on Jack. But it looked like it didn't matter now, she had an enemy to face and her partner needed to be the furthest from her mind so that she could focus. Lillian barely registered the fact that she sensed her invisible stalker, before she drifted off to sleep exhausted from all her hunting.

A man hovered next to the second story window of the flat. Peering into the dark living room. The moon shone enough light through the glass for him to see the sleeping form of his prey. He placed his palm against the window glass as he watched her sleep soundly.

"Soon, Princess, all the fire in your eyes will be mine." He muttered softly as his black wings lifted him up and away from the building.