4 - christmas somewhere new

oliver ° ·˙

it's been a week since our conversation took place. we had another argument about who was going where for whatever holiday. in the end, she decided it would be best for her to celebrate christmas with her family, and for me to go stay with the perlmans.

i called mr perlman after our agreement and he appeared to be over the moon that i'd even consider him. we quickly discussed a date at which i'd come, bringing us to today.

my nine-hour flight is set to take off in less than two hours, my fiancé has already left for california. we said our goodbyes this morning and for an unknown reason they felt like goodbyes that would last longer than a week.

i rose from my place in bed, gathering the items i left out of my bag the previous night. i'd been informed that italy in winter is almost as cold as new york, and so i felt a little more prepared.

after packing, it was time to head to the airport. i lugged my bag down the stairs and into the hall where i stood in front of the mirror.

what am i doing?

the thought crossed my mind as i stared at my reflection. i could easily be with my soon-to-be wife right now. instead, i'm heading to live with my summer fling for a week.

i couldn't back out now, and so i carried my bag out of the house and put it in the back of the car. i started on my way to the airport, thoughts of the fragile boy i left behind swarming my head.

i knew what i was doing wasn't fair to him, and it caused a pit of regret to swell in my stomach.

i arrived quicker than i was expecting, picking up my bag from the back of the car, i made my way through the crowds of people who were also trying to get onto flights in time for christmas. i had to go up a few staircases before putting my bag through luggage.

i climbed down a sets of stairs and went through all of airport security with no faults. i picked up my bag again and made my way to the waiting area.

it wasn't long till i heard the familiar 'ding' and soothing female voice telling me that the flight to rome would now be boarding at gate four. i jumped straight to my feet and joined the herd of people now heading down the long hall to gate four.

it wasn't excitement that drove me, more the need to make amends.

i gave my passport to the woman at the desk, she looked down at it, looked back at me, and gave a curt nod, handing me my passport back.

no turning back now

the thought crossed my mind, and it was true. whatever happened when i arrived was inevitable. but nothings going to happen, because i love my fiancé and elio isn't ruining that for me.

what if he's over you?

so what if he is? good for him, i hope he did find someone because i did, and i'm happy.

i took my place in the window seat of the plane, the rows swiftly filled up and a pretty blonde boy sat next to me. as the plane began to rattle, signalling take off, i noticed nobody next to the boy and assumed it would just be us.

he turned to me as i was deep in thought and smiled, revealing a set of completely straight-white teeth.

"i'm nathan" he spoke softly, he had a slight italian accent, like elio.

"oliver" i said, returning the smile he was gifting me.

"so what brings you to italy oliver" he asked me, surely just out of politeness or curiosity. but the question threw me, surely i couldn't explain that my fiancé didn't want to celebrate hanukkah with me so i was living with another jewish family.

he must have picked up on the confusion and said quickly

"no need to explain, i'm sure whatever it is will sort itself out" he then pulled some grey headphones onto his head (that i hadn't noticed were on his shoulders) and pressed play on a small cassette player. i smiled to myself and drifted off to the view of the clouds outside my window.

i was awoken to sound of the pilot speaking, he warned that we would experience some minor turbulence soon, i checked the time and saw we still had two hours before the plane landed.

"ah, you're awake" the voice of my new italian friend sounded.

"family, is why i'm coming to italy" i said without thinking.

"oh good, that was killing me" he said and chuckled. i smiled.

"what brings you?" i asked quickly a smile playing on my lips.

"family also, we spend christmas together every year in rome" he explained to me. i nodded as if i understood what he was talking about. the truth is, i don't know why i'm coming back to italy. realistically, i should go and spend it with my family, i think i just wanted an excuse to see...

the violent shaking of the plane stopped my thoughts, a panicked expression must have come onto my face, as nathan placed his hand on top of mine.

i visibly relaxed. "don't worry, happens all the time" he tells me and squeezes my hand in his.

i closed my eyes as the plane came to a calm, and must have fallen asleep again because when my eyes opened all i saw was nathan's face rather close to mine. i noticed our hands were still intertwined.

"the planes landed oliver" he explained to me, he took his hand out of mine and got out of his seat, he retrieved his bag from above us both and smiled at me. i got up after him, running a hand through my hair and slinging my bag over my shoulder.

we both left the plane together and walked to the luggage return, i found mine before he found his so we said our goodbyes. i hugged him momentarily and thanked him before walking to the collection place where i said i'd meet elios father.

i dragged my bag behind me and saw elios father standing there, i smiled and started waking towards him. i must have lost sight of him at some point, as there were a lot of people in between us. when i saw him again, i noticed someone next to him.

i could recognise his face from miles away and it felt as if i'd never left, i shouldn't have come back.

_____________________________
hi there!

i know i'm writing a bit more than normal but eh oh well? it's more procrastinating from writing my english essay which i DONT WANNA DO AHHHH

i don't have much to say except i hope you're enjoying the story so far?

VOTE & COMMENT

[editing sarah]
word count: 1169