How it all began

[So this book is kinda borderline mature. Swearing, violence, death, implied sex and stuff like that, kissing. Nothing to graphic, but just so you're warned]

Another morning, another day. The sun wasn't even up yet, still Jonah was already working. He was a barista at a hidden local coffee shop somewhere on a corner of the street in this big city. The salary? Not so much. Co-workers? Secretly stealing coffee from the shop and constantly complaining. Costumers? Well, we all know how they can be, surely when half of the people haven't got their first cup yet. None the less Jonah wasn't complaining. He loved helping people and always delivered every drink with a smile. Saving the world one coffee at the time.

Dean, however, wasn't such a person. Did he even consider himself to be a person? No one knows. But he did manage to drag himself out of bed and onto the streets at this hour of day. 06:37 in the morning. What do serial killers do on an ordinary day you ask? Well, nothing special, actually. It's not like he goes on a daily kill spree or something like that and he does have a day job.

Yet, this day is special. Why? Because this is the day two opposites meet. Somewhere in a hidden local coffee shop. At the corner of a quiet street in a big city. On a Monday morning, 06:38 am. The beginning of a new story, a twist in faith, a connection made. Cause let's be real here people, there wouldn't be a story to tell otherwise.

"Hello, good morning! Welcome to Cassey's Coffee, how may I help you?" Jonah asked as another costumer walked up to the counter, a smile plastered on his face. "Argh..." Dean groaned, way to loud for this hour. "Just give me the strongest you've got". "Coming right up sir!" Jonah smiled, getting to work. He seems to young to work here... Not that I care Dean thought, sitting down at one of the small tables.

06:41, Dean's coffee is ready. "Here you go sir, that would be $4,95 please". "For one coffee? Bullshit" Dean muttered, grabbing a five dollar bill. "This better be the best damn coffee in the fucking world, understand?". Jonah hesitantly took the money, gave him his change and walked back to his place behind the counter. He didn't mind though, he knew how people could be when they hadn't had their coffee yet. Besides, it was Monday morning after all.

Dean grabbed a vile from his inside pocket and poured it in his coffee. "This better works" he muttered, stirring the dark blue substance through the black mass of the cup. Jonah frowned at the scene. Did that man brought his own milk and sugar or something? If he wanted extra's he could've asked... Maybe he just didn't want to pay for it? Yeah, probably...

Just when he wanted to drink it, his phone rang. He groaned, grabbing the godforsaken device and angrily growling at the person who disturbed him. "What? I'm busy". Jonah didn't hear what they said on the other side, just robotic noises that resembled voices. "This soon already? What? Now? But I-" Dean tried, ending up losing anyways. "Alright, fine! I'll be there in ten, no, make that twenty. And you're paying for my damn coffee, understand?!"

Jonah followed him with his eyes as he stumped out the coffee shop. He sighed and walked over to the table, grabbing the coffee and taking it back to the counter. "You know the rules" Jennifer said, hands in her hips. Why did he had to have this shift with her? Others would've just let him throw it away. But no, not Jenny, not ever.

One of the staff's rules: if your costumer leaves without finishing, it means you served a bad drink. Punishment: you have to drink up the remaining...coffee, in this case. Jonah sighed and gave Jenny one last pleading gaze. What if that stuff he had with him were drugs? What if it was toxic or something?

"Come on Jonah, don't be a wuss, he didn't even take a sip" she stated. "Alright, just, uhm, give me a sec okay?" he asked, putting the coffee down and going back to clean up the table. "Wuss" Jennifer muttered, washing some cups, getting back to work. When Jonah came back, the coffee was still waiting for him. He took a deep breath and sighed. Here goes nothing...