Chapter 20

Sunset was only an hour away. Klaus could feel the energy vibrating through his bones as he walked around the courtyard. He could feel the wolf in him fighting to break free. Soon enough, the beast would have its chance. Soon enough. Earlier that day, Klaus had received word that The Destroyer, Mikael, would arrive in London in the next day or two. He smiled to himself. The old man would be too late. Klaus would rip him to shreds the moment his father dared to step a single toe past his doorstep. All the years of running would finally be at an end.

Just then one of the human servant girls came rushing up to him.

"Milord," the girl said, "I have a message for you from Lady Caroline."

Odd, Caroline never sent messengers. "What is it?"

"She told me to tell you that it was time for her to go. But that she wanted to say goodbye first."

"What does that mean?"

The girl quivered under his scrutiny. "She said you would know. She also said that if you want to see her that she's in the place only you can see."

The girl recited the words as if she were under compulsion. Klaus looked up at the sky. It was growing dark. His hand went to Caroline's necklace which had been replaced around his neck. It was time for her to go. This could be it. He wouldn't see her again for another six centuries. If he didn't go to her now, then these would be her final words to him, spoken through the lips of a servant girl.

"Be gone," he growled. The girl ran away quickly, escaping his anger.

Klaus spun on his heels and headed through the main corridor and out the front door, making his way toward the forest. He tried his best to shut off his thoughts I he ran through the trees. Gretchen would have everything prepared for the sacrifice, Elijah would protect Katerina, Klaus could afford to see Caroline this one last time.

He stopped, just before he reached the ruins. They looked the same as ever. The old, stony columns and dilapidated walls calling out to him like an old forgotten friend. He walked through the threshold, feeling the magic that kept the place hidden wash over him. As he walked to the center of the ruins, he remembered the last time he was here, with Caroline. She was still the only person he had ever brought here. He had pretended to show it to the doppelganger, just to get a rise out of Caroline, and it had worked.

Caroline stepped from around the fountain. She was wearing a simple, light blue gown, her long hair billowing down her shoulders and around her waist. She smiled tentatively at him and Klaus knew he had made the right choice. He rushed toward her and scooped her up in his arms, squeezing her body tight against his.

It had been nearly a day since he had spoken to her and he had hated every minute of it. His pride wouldn't let him give up the grudge he held against her for her secrets, but one look from her and he forgot how angry he felt. He didn't know how he would last centuries without her when he had barely lasted a day.

"I'm glad you came. I thought you were mad at me," she spoke against his chest.

"I was," he replied pulling away and looking into her eyes. He could see tears beginning to form.

"I'm sorry," she said, "I had to know if I was right. After I saw the memory I had to talk to Gretchen and find out if I was right about some things. Before I told you."

"And are you going to tell me what you saw?"

"Yes. The whole truth this time. No more lies," she said, determination lacing her voice. Klaus gave her a small smile. Finally, he would have answers. Finally there would be no more secrets between them. "You spoke to me in the future, as if you already knew me, and then compelled me to forget. But you told me how I get back home."