Chapter 8

(Ariana's POV)

*flashback*

"Happy birthday Hayes!" we all sing on his 11th birthday.

"Thanks." He says. He blows out the candle and closes his eyes. Darn. I wish I knew what he wished for. "haha! I'm older than you now!" he teases me.

"Only by a year you fart head." I say laughing.

We go out into the yard and run around for a bit. Eventually I get tired. I lay down and look up at the stars. Hayes joins me.

"What does being 11 feel like?" I ask him.

"It feels awesome." He responds.

"Yeah. I bet."

"Do you want to know what I wished for?" he says. "I mean, I know I'm not supposed to tell anyone but I trust you. promise you'll never tell?"

"I promise." I say.

"Okay. Here we go." He takes a deep breath. "I wished that no matter how old we get, no matter what happens in the future, we will always be best friends."

*end of flashback*

(Hayes's POV)

I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. Ariana in my arms. She's so cute when she sleeps.

I watch her for a bit.

She moves and then opens her eyes. "Hey stalker," She says, "how long have you been watching me for?"

I laugh. "Not long at all."

"Well, I better go make myself look presentable." She says.

"You look fine. Let's go eat breakfast." I say.

"Fine." She says. We head down and eat. Then we go and get ready for school.

(Ariana's POV)

I do my hair and make up and brush my teeth quickly. Then I get dressed in black leggings and I cute black and white sweater top. I go downstairs and put on my combat boots.

Then me and Hayes wait for the bus. We stand together in silence for a bit.

"Hayes," I say.

"Yeah?"

"Listen, about school today,"

"Don't worry. I won't let anyone bother you. It's the last day before the Christmas break anyway." He says.

"Oh yeah. I totally forgot. Thank god." I say. He laughs.

The bus comes and we hop on. Hayes sits with me. Which was a surprise.

"You know, you don't need to stay with me." I say.

"But I want to. I think that my best friend deserves some company." He says. I laugh.

"Cute speech." I say looking out the window.

"Do you really think so?" he says shifting his body so he is facing me.

"Sure. Why not." I say laughing.

"Okay. Good cause I actually was working on another one." He says.

"Oh really? for what?" I ask.

"Oh nothing." He says.

"No tell me. Best friends." I say pointing to the both of us.

"Okay. For some girl I like." He says. That crushes my heart.

Wait. Why? did I like him? no, I can't. I don't want to.

"Ariana?" Hayes says.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Are you okay? you went blank." He says.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Good luck with your speech." I say squeezing past him and speed walking into school.

I'm such an idiot. Why would he ever like me? Why am I jealous.

Haily comes over to my locker. As usual. "Hey. Are you okay? your kind of pale." She says.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"No your not. Tell me everything." She says.

I explain everything that's happened.

"You like him." She says.

"No!" I say defensively.

She raises one eyebrow.

"K. Maybe a little. But he likes someone else." I say.

"Well do you know who?" she asks.

"No. He didn't tell me. Well actually, I stormed out before he could." I say.

"Be careful okay? keep you distance. You do not want to get between that. Okay?"

"Okay.

*after school*

I head onto the bus. I see Hayes come on and he sits beside me.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Nothing." I say. I look out the window not making any eye contact.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I say.

"Good. I have great news!" he says.

"What is it?"

"Well after you said that my speeches were cute, I decided to ask out that girl and she said yes! she's coming over tonight!" he says.

I sit shocked. a tear slips out of my eye but I wipe it before he can see it. "What's her name?" I ask.

"Caroline." He says.

Are you kidding me!?

Caroline is the meanest slutiest girl in school. Why would he like her!

"Oh, that's nice." I say looking out the window.

"Okay, seriously. What's wrong. You've been dodging me all day." He says.

"Nothing." I say. We arrive at his house and I quickly get out and go inside. I text haily quickly.

To haily: the girl is Caroline!! 😖

Haily: no freaking way!

To haily: I'm not kidding! she's coming over tonight! 😶🔫

Haily: okay, um, I would so invite you but I have family over and my mom just said no. 😁

To haily: it's okay. I'll text you later. Luv u!😙

Haily: luv u tooo!😘😸

~end of convo~

After dinner we all chill on the couch and watch tv. The door bell rings and Hayes jumps up. "That's her! be nice!" he says scolding Nash. I roll my eyes.

"Hey Caroline!" Hayes says.

"Hey babe." She says.

I look over at Nash who is fake gagging. I laugh. Caroline and Hayes walk in. "Hey!" Nash says.

"Hi." She says. She sits down on a chair and Hayes sits down beside me. we watch tv for a couple of minutes.

"Um, Ariana, I'd like to sit beside Hayes. Can you move?" she says in a cute yet bitchy way.

"She doesn't have to do anything." Nash says.

"Hayes?" she says making a pouty face.

"Can you please just move." He says to me.

"Really?" I say.

"Yes." He mumbles. I roll my eyes while getting up.

"Ariana you don't have to." Nash says.

"Nope. It's okay. The princess needs to sit with Hayes. I'll be at my house if you need me." I say walking out of his house and onto the road.