Chapter 3

On Wednesday, I'm awaken by a knock on my front door. Thinking it's the little Asian woman from down stairs, I call out "Just leave it by the door!"

"Come on, let me in!" I hear Thor say through the door. With a frown, I stretch out on the couch and stand up to walk over to the door.

When I open the door, I ask "Shouldn't you be at work?" In his hand is a plastic bag, and he wears causal clothing.

"It's five o'clock in the evening." He states as I push my hair out of my face and zip up my jacket "Were you smashed?"

After I allow him in, I sigh "What are you doing here?"

"I figured that your boy would like some sweets, so I brought some stuff, and I figured why not? I was in the neighborhood." he shrugs, before asking "Where's he at?"

"On the mantal." I sigh and he gives a bewildered look, before looking over and sighing.

"My apologizes." he states and I shake my head, before digging into the bag to find a gallon of mint chip ice cream.

After I grab two spoons, I move Fenris's blanket out of the way and he sits down. Once half the gallon is gone, and it's dark out, I explain "He was two, when he collapsed on playground. He was put in hospice, and he was here for awhile. But when he was three, we had to put him in the hospital."

We sit there for another moment, before I continue "A week before he turned four, the doctors declared that he was not going to live that long. He wanted to come home." I wipe my eyes and shake my head "So we took him home, and I could see him withering away."

As the tears start to fall, I lick my lips "He made it to his to his fourth birthday, and he blew out his candles and asked if he could eat it after he took a nap." I shake my head and let out a shakey breath "I knew it was time, so I slide into bed with him and held him. While he was sleeping, I gave him permission to stop fighting." I shrug and whine "And for a moment, nothing happened, and I could see who he would become. And I thought he would wake up and be fine." I wipe my face and sniffle "And then, he flatlined, and I turned off the monitor, and laid with him until my father got here."

After a long moment, I pull myself together and sigh "That was three years ago today." I nod, before he looks to me "I take these three days off, every year."

"I don't blame you." he gives a weak smile, before I stand and walk back towards the bag. When I start to empty it, I stop dead in my tracks.

Underneath the bars of chocolate and candy, is a small package of six cupcakes. Chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, cheesecake, lemon, and carrot cake "You're starting to scare me, you know that?"

He walks over to me and I pull out my phone to show him Fenris at age two. In front of him is a very large carrot cupcake with a number two candle in it "It was his favorite."

He looks up to me and shakes his head "I didn't know that, I'm so sorry."

With a sigh, I place it on a plate and cut it in half. As I take a half, Thor takes the other and I shake my head "Happy birthday, darling." I scoff "I hope you've met mummy in heaven, or Vanhala, or paradise, or maybe you're a worshipped cow! But I hope you're somewhere better than here, with a heart better than your old one."

With that, I knock it down and lick my fingers, before swallowing it and looking to Thor "Split the rest?" he shrugs and we dig in.

~

We spent the rest of the night chomping on candy and watching movies. By the time the second movie was over, Thor was passed out on the couch. I covered him up and went to bed.

The next morning, I wake at five in the morning and find Thor is still asleep on the couch. At seven, he's still asleep, so I smack him with a pillow "Thor, wake up!"

He pops up and I smile "I made breakfast." He looks back at my bar and lets out a groggy groan, before sitting up.

"Don't tell me you're a morning person." he grovels as I place a plate of waffles and eggs in front of him.

"Nope, I'm a parent." I sigh and he gives an odd look "You have to wake up before your kids and go to sleep after. After years, it never goes away."

He yawns, before pouring syrup over his waffles and asking "Do you have any-" I cut him off with a mug of coffee "Thanks."

When I sit next to him, he smiles "You were a great parents." I shrug and he shakes his head "I bet you were."

"Well, he didn't have many toys. I didn't have much money, because of the medical bills, but he was a happy kid, all things considered." I nod, before returning to my waffles and chuckling "I used to make waffles every Wednesday, when he was here. He would smother his in chocolate syrup."

"Really?" Thor asks and I nod, before pulling out the chocolate syrup and covering mine in it.

"He'd only eat, like, a third of his food. So I'd eat his leftovers." I nod, before shaking my head "You grow to like things after you eat them so many times."

He smiles at me, before shaking his head "I don't think I'd be able to do it. Know that my kid would pass."

I shrug, before looking to the ground "You do what you have to do as a parent." I nod, before giving a sideways smile "Knowing that he was going to die, it only made me feel like I needed to be there, more. Let him do what he wanted."

He gives a short nod, and we continue with our breakfast.