Chapter 22

"In my work, I watch children die." Gamora tells the group as I mess with my styrofoam cup "And I watched Groot slip away because of Thanos, and I just can't bare to see these kids do the same!"

My eyes snap open and I look at my phone. 1A.M. in the morning on Thursday. Last night, Hela declared that Thor and I need to be alone, so we lay naked in my bed.

"Thor, wake up!" I hiss as I pull on my pants. When he finds me, he asks what I'm doing "I was wrong! It's Gamora! She's the killer!"

By the time we're in the car, Thor frowns "How do you know it's her?"

"She practically told me the day I went to group! I just wasn't listening!" I exclaim as he gets on the highway "I didn't think of it until now!"

"Are you sure it's her?" he asks and I nod, definately.

"She's her own endgame! She going to kill herself to stop herself from feeling Groot's loss!" I announce as we speed down the streets of New York.

By the time we walk into the hospital, it's 1:55, and the door to the quiet room is open a crack. When I open it, I motion for Thor to stay put, before walking in to find Gamora with a gun to her head.

"Gamora, you don't have to do this!" I declare as she trembles violently "Just because he's gone, doesn't mean you're not a mum!"

"He was the only thing I ever loved!" she whines out, before sniffling "What am I without him?"

"A nurse that cares for her patients." I state, holstering my gun, despite the glare from Thor "I see what you were doing, Gamora. You were trying to save those kids from Thanos."

"It isn't fair!" she cries, before taking in a gasping breath "Why did my Groot have to die, when there are pedophiles walking around?"

"I ask myself the same question every morning." I tell her, before shaking my head "Just last week, I was standing where you are now, ready to end it. But a friend stepped in and stopped me." I take a step towards her and hold out my hand "Let me be that friend for you."

She starts to hold it out to me, and I start to take it, until she pulls the trigger. Heat rips through my shoulder and I'm slammed into the back wall with a grunt.

"It took three hours for my Groot to die after taken off life support!" she whines as I groan in pain and drop to the ground "He told me mommy, I want to die on the same day as Fenris, so we can play together in heaven!"

"You didn't tell me that." I pant as blood pools on the floor.

"I wasn't ready to say goodbye!" she cries, before shaking her head "I just want to be with my baby again!"

"Would he be proud of the person you've become?" I ask and she gives a perplexed look "He would want you to live a long life! To be happy!"

"What do I have to make me happy?" she asks.

"Your sister! Peter!" I reply, before shaking my head "Suicide isn't the answer, Gamora! Think of what Nebula would feel!"

"She wouldn't care!" Gamora answers, before shaking her head "Nobody cares!"

"I care, Gamora!" I insist and she gives a confused look "You were my best friend while our sons were here."

"You left me!" she cries.

"Because I didn't want you to get hurt." I tell her, before sighing "I became an assassin, because I didn't want to live. I was on a suicide mission from the second I signed up, to the second my partner died. I wasn't right in the head."

She shakes her head "I don't want to do this anymore! I just want to die!"

"I wish I could tell you it gets better." I tell her, before shaking my head "It only gets easier to endure the pain."

"I'm not that strong." she states, before pulling the trigger.

As her body starts to topple, my lung burn, and I topple as well.

~

There's a pressure on my chest as my eyes open. Modi lays on top of me as Thor grips my hand "Morning, love." he whispers.

I groan in pain and look down to find my left arm in a sling "What's the damage?" I ask as I look to find my co-workers, Hela, and Laufey.

"Bullet knicked an artery. A millimeter over, it would have killed you." Thor states and I nod, before leaning my head back "Do you want some water or another pillow?"

"I'm fine." I nod, before looking to Steve "Cap, I need a transfer." I declare and he starts to argue "No, if my judgment was clear, Gamora would still be alive and we would've got her before the second murder."

"Nothing would have changed." He tells me, before sitting on the edge of my bed "You can either go to cold case, or evidence lock up." he looks to Thor "One of you is staying with SVU."

"Guess you found out about Thor and I, huh?" I ask and Thor chuckles "What?"

"We've been spying on you two since this case started." Natasha states and I raise an eyebrow at her "We bugged Thor's phone, and I called you last week, because I knew you were in trouble."

"And I thought it was illegal for her to bug my phone." Thor states, before smiling down at me "But, in case you would betray this country, you signed a waver that you can be spied on, before you joined the force."

I grovel and pull his hand up to my face "You're so warm."

"And you are drugged up." he states, before kissing my forehead "I love you."

"I love you, too." I give a weak smile, before looking down at Modi "Hey, buddy, how are you doing?"

"A kitty walked up to me earlier! Aunty Hela and dad said I could keep him! His name is Sushi!" he smiles, happily.

I give a enduring look at Thor "We have a cat."