the past

Luffy looks around the office, he thought Ace said he'd be back  today but he hasn't seen him. He doesn't really understand what Ace goes through, but he knows that he's lying to him almost everyday. Luffy spots (Y/n), but she doesn't seem to be in a good mood either.
  The male lets out a sigh before he continues to look around the office. He can't help but wonder if Ace had another episode, he remembers the first time it happened vividly. The way Ace looked in the hospital burned its image into his mind.
  She was there for him then, maybe Luffy relied on her too much back then. They both probably did, Sabo and him. Ace probably could tell that, or maybe he just never wanted to bother anyone but her with his problems.
  She meant so much to him, and it's a shame that she-he shakes his head. She was still a better girlfriend then Luffy and Sabo were brothers at the time. He felt so useless when he found out Ace was in the hospital.
  He didn't even find out that he was in there until Ace missed work for a whole week. He was gone for a week and Luffy never bothered to text or call him to ask how he was doing. And by the time he did, it was too late. Ace had already gotten through his trials.
  Luffy feels like he could've done so much more for Ace, he never finds out until it's too late. Now that she's gone, Luffy has been trying to become the person he should've been from the beginning. It's harder now though, because when she left, it broke so many pieces of his brother.
  A few years, she was Ace's girlfriend and they complimented each other perfectly, they rarely ever fought; if they did, it never lasted long. It was like they were made for the other.
At least that's how everyone had perceived it all, and after they had dated for a couple of years, he wanted to propose to her. Sure, he had never met her parents, but that's because she had told him they had died, like his. So he planned it all out.
They were going to go to dinner, order a few drinks-nothing too strong because he'd have to drive back-and then he was going to ask her to marry him. But, it was storming that night as they drove through the mountains and something happened up on that road. Luffy's not sure what, neither is Ace, and Sabo said that it's probably because it's too traumatizing so he blocked out the memory.
  They don't need to know what exactly happened though, they know everything that they need. The car fell off the side of the road and into the ocean beneath. Somehow Ace survived, but she died because her heart was weak.
  Luffy remembers bursting into the hospital that time, nobody was in the room with Ace and the freckled man was staring out the window. Luffy could tell the he just blamed himself for everything, not only does he have to live with that, but a lot of truths came out that day as well.
  One, she had parents. Two, she was already engaged to someone else. Three, she had never talk about Ace to anyone in her family. Her parents also blamed Ace for her death, her fiancé just felt bad for him, but no one wanted to invite him to the funeral.
  Before he had dated her, Ace was diagnosed with depression. He hadn't told anyone but her. He tried so hard to be someone he wasn't, he wanted his younger brothers to see him as someone who was reliable, he didn't want them to see his problems. No one wants their younger siblings to help them.
  But when they witnessed him staring blankly out that window with nothing but tears in his eyes, they realized that everyone has a breaking point. The point where they need someone to talk to, they need someone to listen to them. Ace couldn't take it anymore, and for the longest time, he stayed in that hospital and stared out that window.
  Luffy worried about him so much that he could barely eat, and that's saying something due to the fact that he's always eating. He stayed next to Ace when Sabo wasn't there, and if Luffy wasn't there, Sabo was. The brothers never really grew apart, but they didn't talk like they do now.
  Luffy snaps out of his daydreams to see Ace walk into the office, he immediately jumps off the the desk he was sitting on and runs into his brother, "Ace! I'm so glad you're okay!"

-