the reset

is there something that you would change if you could?

—————
They sit there for a few seconds more, no words being exchanged. Their hands becoming sweaty despite the freezing cold surrounding the rest of their bodies. Ace lets out a sigh, letting his eyes wander around the sky. The moon shines bright in the middle of the sky. He's been out all day.
He looks back over at the woman sitting next to him, noticing that she's been staring at him the whole time and that her face is getting red. He blames it on the cold, because it's an easier escape than saying she's embarrassed. A small smile forms on his lips as an effort to reassure her, but he doesn't know why.
"Why did you leave like that?" his voice comes out, barely above a whisper. "I constantly told myself that you'd be fine... but is this what's been going on? You told me he'd leave you alone if you left. That he'd become a better person. You made me believe those lies."
"It... I didn't know it would end like this," she closes her eyes, a thin line on her lips. "If I'd known... if only I had known-"
"Then what, (Y/n)? You wouldn't have gone with him? You'd have broken up with him a long time ago? You never would've talked to me? You wouldn't have taken that job? We can't change the past, no matter how badly we want to. We live with our mistakes until the day we die. We're always... constantly... trying to make amends," he pulls his hand out of hers, rubbing his face. He ends up with one hand resting next to his elbow on his leg and his chin in his other hand; looking at the building in front of him. "Our dreams will always be haunted by our faults, even after we feel like we've done everything we can to fix them..."
"But our mistakes... don't define us," she takes in a deep breath, not knowing exactly where she's going with this. "Even when they're all we have. There's always a low before a high. Every slip we have only prepares us for when we're happy. They help us appreciate when things go right."
  "Yeah, you're right," his lips form a smile before he lets it drop off his face. "Do you ever want to start a relationship over?"
  "Yeah, sometimes..." she looks at him, this angle somehow making him look more attractive. "I mean... only when I've done something embarrassing. Why?"
  "Because I have these feelings towards you... but I don't know what they are. It's so hard to tell... what exactly they are," he brings his other hand up and links his fingers together; resting his chin upon the new surface. "I want to say that I love you... I really do, but I don't know if it's because-"
  "Then let's do it," she grabs his hand, pulling it out of his interlocked fist and causing his head to turn towards hers. Their face only inches apart. "Let's start over."
  He stares at her for a few seconds, but just long enough to get lost in her (e/c) eyes. He opens his mouth before closing it almost immediately, he just nods. A smile appears on her lips before she lets go of his hand and takes off his jacket, "I do believe this belongs to you."
  "Oh, thank you," he takes the piece of clothing back, staring at her face. "To whom do I have to thank?"
  "(Y/n)," she holds out her hand for him to shake, "And who are you?"
  "Ace," he takes her hand, warmth fills his heart. Sure, it's just a lie and an act, but she's still trying to help him. "What happened to you? Why are you out here this late?"
  "My... boyfriend. Actually... my ex," she wraps her arms around herself, "He doesn't get the meaning of no means no."
  "Sounds like a jerk," he reaches out and runs his fingers though her (h/c) locks, his words causing her to laugh and his action causing her to look into his eyes. "But at least it doesn't affect how beautiful you are."
  His hand brings her face closer to his, their eyes fluttering shut, neither one of them pull away. They just keep closing the gap between them, getting closer and closer. So close until they can feel each other's breath on their lips. So very close until...

-