the silence

hey. you enjoying the story yet? nah? yeah, me neither.

———————
As they sit there, there's nothing but a blanket of overwhelming darkness. He lets out a sigh, squeezing her hand with a slightly bitter smile on his lips. Ace looks over at her, her (e/c) eyes staring back at him causing his breath to catch. His heart starts to race.
  Silence.
  He feels his face heat up, so he quickly looks away to make sure she doesn't realize it. The silence between them both comfortable and uncomfortable, like a blanket that has needles hidden within the fabric. The warmth of each other's hand the only thing reminding them that they're alive.
  Silence.
  She looks at the buildings, trying to ignore the bitter cold that's finally sinking its teeth into her skin. Her body shakes slightly, making her slightly regret running out. She's always been affected by the cold differently than most people. Ace shuffles best to her, then his hand suddenly slips from hers. She turns her head to him as he wraps his coat around her body. Their eyes meet again.
  Silence.
  They both suddenly avert them, and he sits down next to her; slipping his hand into hers again. He moves closer to her until their shoulders touch, shutting his eyes to take in the sounds.
  Silence.
  Wait, no. It's not silent. There's the wind, birds that are a little late on migration, cats rummaging through the dumpsters, and the breathing of the person next to him. He turns his head and looks at her, his dark eyes observing her face closely. Many bruises litter her once clear (s/c) skin, especially around her eye.
  The world is no longer silent. Well, technically it never was. He was just numb to all the sounds. Everyone of them. Even the most important ones. The sounds of life.
  She feels his gaze, so she turns her head. He reaches out with his other hand lightly touching the bruise under her eye. When she flinches, he moves his hand and–slightly unconsciously–runs his finger over the cut on her bottom lip. She watches his eyes move down to her neck.
  Nothing but the sound of his breath exiting his mouth. Slightly worrying her. She's so afraid of what he's going to say.
  He retracts his hand from her face, but keeping her hand in his. They don't speak another word, it's almost like they're afraid that if they speak again, they'll break out of whatever alternate universe they're currently trapped in. And they didn't want to leave each other alone quite yet. Or maybe ever.

-