Chapter 17: Find You

February 7th, 2017

9:00 P.M.

Lauren

"How's your day been?" my Lyft driver asked as the car started moving.

"Oh.", I said, caught a bit off guard, "It was ok. How about yours?"

"It's been better. I'm not exactly pleased with Trump's choice for secretary of education."

My eyes lit up immediately. Did she really just say that? I had heard the announcement earlier that day and tweeted ceaselessly about it, as per usual, but this was one of the few times in my life that I wasn't the one to bring up politics.

 Did she really just say that? I had heard the announcement earlier that day and tweeted ceaselessly about it, as per usual, but this was one of the few times in my life that I wasn't the one to bring up politics

"Oh my God. Seriously?" I asked.

"Yes. Look, I'm sorry if you support him, but—" she began.

"No. No. Oh my—God, no. I am 100% on board with you right now. It's just rare that people bring up politics with strangers. Sounds like a good way to get injured." I laughed.

"I know.", she laughed back, "I usually avoid the topic, too, but I've been driving around all day keeping my mouth shut about it and I couldn't take it anymore. You're my last ride so I thought I'd try."

"Girl, you tried with the right person. I don't think you understand how livid I am about 90% of his decisions, and that 90% is an understatement."

"Well, it's good to see someone young giving a shit about the world."

"Thank you! I say this all the time! People need to get fucking involved, man."

"What inspired you to get involved?"

"I don't know. I've always been really passionate about social issues and then this was the first election I could vote in and plus it's a good distraction from my exes and—"

I froze. Why the fuck was I sharing so much? I had gotten way too excited.

"Sorry. You don't need to hear my life story." I laughed.

"Hey, I love life stories.", she countered, "This ex thing recent?"

"One of them is."

"Ah, I'm sorry. How long ago?"

"Literally five days ago." I half chuckled.

"Oh, shit. Sorry I asked."

"No, it's ok. You're actually wildly refreshing. My drivers never really talk much."

"Well, I love to talk and I love to listen if you're willing to share."

I looked at my driver, debating if I really wanted to share my life with a stranger. The odd part was, I felt more inclined to tell her anything than I did to tell anyone else. There's an odd sense of security with strangers because they don't know your past and they're not going to share your information with anyone you know. Suddenly, I wanted nothing more than to vent about Lucy.