Chapter 36: Real Friends

October 2nd, 2017

11:00 P.M.

Lauren

"Hey, stranger." I answered the phone.

"Don't be difficult." Ty replied.

"That's how you're going to start this?"

"You started it!"

"I'm just saying. I was starting to forget my own boyfriend's voice."

"Lo, chill. Seriously."

"Can you just man up and apologize so I can stop missing you?"

"I miss you too, baby."

I sighed and plopped down onto my bed. This was basically the first time Ty and I had really fought and I didn't realize how hard it would be not talking to him. I just wanted us back, but I was too stubborn to let it go without hearing an apology from him first.

"I've been thinking a lot about what happened." he spoke up again.

"And?" I asked, hoping to get this all over with soon.

"And well, you were right."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"I was?" I asked.

"Not about everything, though." he answered, causing me to tense up again.

"What do you mean?"

"Look, I'm sorry about joking around about you and Camila. This time and all of the other times. I know that's not cool, but, honestly...it's sort of my way of dealing with it."

"Dealing with it?"

"Lauren, I'm really happy that you and Camila are reconnecting, trust me. It's been good seeing you more at peace. The thing is...it does bother me a little bit."

"Since when?"

"I don't know. Sort of since it started."

My eyes widened. He had always been so calm about the entire situation that I assumed he didn't give a shit. This was unexpected, to say the least.

"Babe, why didn't you say anything?" I asked.

"Because I know how much that jealousy shit fucked with you and Lucy.", he said, "I told you that I could handle it and so, I don't know, I found a way to act like it didn't bother me. I guess I just took it too far."

"Well, damn. You know I wouldn't have freaked out like that if I knew what was really going on. What have I said about open communication, babe?"

"I know. I just...I didn't want to disappoint you, baby."

The soft tone in his voice broke my heart. How could I be so fucking stupid to think that this wouldn't bother him?

"You could never.", I reassured him, "From now on, just talk to me, ok?"

"Ok...so...I mean, I don't know what I can ask of you, Lo." he said slowly.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean...look, I don't want to be that guy..."

I was scared that I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"You-", I began, "You want me to stop talking to her."

Silence on the other end. I was right. I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Ty-" I started again.

"Ok, maybe not just like fucking ghost her, but...", he interrupted, "I don't know...maybe tone it down a little bit?"

I sat there, staring down at my bare toes playing with the soft carpet on the hotel room floor. That was when, with the worst timing possible, I thought about her...