Chapter 20: Heart Into Art

February 14th, 2017

11:00 A.M.

Lauren

Luckily, our Valentine's Day was actually busy this year. Not only did we have a studio session later that day, but I also had a very special meeting myself with none other than Steve Aoki, one of the hottest music producers at the time. The distractions from Camila were extremely welcome, but that didn't mean that I wasn't nervous at all. This thing with Aoki could be a big deal.

I was ushered through the studio, taking twists and turns until we found Steve sitting in one of the rooms, waiting for me with a smile on his face

"Lauren!" he beamed.

"Hi!" I returned gleefully.

We met in a quick hug before Steve encouraged me to sit down with him. At first, the two of us began talking about everything going on with Fifth Harmony and he sang his praises for us. I felt myself growing more relaxed by the second when I realized just how nice and welcoming this man was. After a while, it was time to get down to business.

"Alright, so Lauren." he began.

"So Steve." I said.

"You have one of the richest, sultriest voices in the industry right now."

"Wow. Thank you."

I could literally feel myself blushing.

"No problem! You earned the praise. So, with that being said, I've been excited for this since your managers came up to me and I've been brainstorming a little bit about what we could do here, but let me tell you how my collaborations work."

I nodded, encouraging him to go on. I was practically salivating at his every word.

"So, obviously, I have my own artistic vision, but, if I wanted to just produce something that fits in with my vision, I'd do it. Collaborations are for a creation of a new artistic vision when ideas come together, you feel me?" he asked.

"I feel you." I confirmed.

"Great. So, the first thing that I want to ask you is what do you want to sing about? What do you want to write about? What's a particular subject that you feel passionate about? I want to hear your strong vocals behind a message that you want to carry, you know? Talk to me."

Wow. I couldn't believe that he was really asking me this. Sure, I had written and collaborated before, but I had never had the chance to make the core of the song my own. Just as I began to brainstorm what exactly it was that I wanted to sing about, the brown eyed girl entered my mind again.

"Everything I've been doing, half the shit I write and sing...it's for you."

Maybe it was finally time I got some of my feelings for Camila out in my music. Without thinking about what was coming out of my mouth, I answered Steve's question.