Together: The Broken Soul

Chara's depressed look snapped to anger once more. "What the hell is this?"

Asriel was wincing in pain.

"oops. my bad."

"Sans, i'd beat the crap out of you if it wouldn't kill you..." Asriel slowly stood up.

Frisk poked her head out of the kitchen concerned.

"Why are you here..."

"I'm here because you didn't kill that kid all those years ago, and I know how to prove it."

"For the last time... I don't want to talk about this!”

"Chara, if I prove it now, then you can forgive yourself. If I can't... you can go on blaming yourself until the end of time, and I won't say a damn thing."

"An innocent child is dead because of actions caused by my body! How could I possibly forgive myself!"

"Bring up your console..." He smiled. She opens it rolling her eyes. "LV 1, see! You haven't killed anyone! Human or monster! Therefore, you couldn't have killed anyone in the past, especially with an EXP score of 0!"

"..." Nothing seemed to change...

"That means they must've made one of your nightmares a memory at the facility, Chara."

She sighs closing it and sat back down in the arm chair.

"...Chara, why aren't you convinced...?"

"I c-can see him so clearly..." She starts explaining quietly. "I remember seeing... blood on my hands..."

"Dreams can be extremely vivid..."

"I remember... the smell...

"Smell...? Of what?"

"The… blood.... I-I cant.... It seemed so... real...."

"Most dreams for magic-users feel that way... Trust me, I thought... You know what, i'm going to save that thought for another time..."

"ahahaha... you were about to share a wet dream with he-oshit!" Sans ducked behind the couch as both a sharpened bone and a sword pierced the chair he was sitting in.

"I'LL REPLACE THAT WITH SANS'S ALLOWANCE MONEY."

"aw, come on!"

Chara didn't react to anything... "Alright..."

He whispered in his ear. "One night, about a month ago... before Chael was born... I thought that you had tried to pin me down and dom me, even though your belly was in between us..." She didn't say anything her eyes seemed to be glazed over with regret and grief. "Chara... what else is holding you back?"

She shakes her head quietly. "I just... Have the feeling.... That I was somehow responsible..."

"...Chara...We've already proved that it's a dream..."

"Then where was he when I woke up... And why... Why is that written on my file.... They may have been assholes but they knew how to do paperwork properly..."

"Gaster, pencil!" In an instant, Asriel had a pencil in his hands. "...I'll need the files, hun."

"Why...."

She reluctantly handed them to him. He opened them up, trying to erase the words about her killing the child. It was in ink....

"It's not going to work...Just... Stop.... Please... Stop wasting your time worrying about me... I'll be fine just let me forget this okay..?"

"...Chara... you're in so much stress..." He looked into her eyes. "Your SOUL is going to snap... probably within the next two months... and I'll fall down soon after. I'm not doing it because I don't want you to be worried... I'm doing it for all of us... Including the kids. Including Monsterkind..." Chara turned as she heard Chael start crying from the bedroom. Asriel started scrambling to the bedroom. "Ch-Chael, Daddy's here!"

"..." Chara held her chest. She picked up her files and went to toss them in the fireplace.

Gaster put his hand out. "I'LL BE TAKING THOSE, CHARA. AND FRISK'S TOO."

She glared at the scientist... "What reason do you have for wanting our files..."

"PSYCHIATRIC PROFILES. SPECIFICALLY YOURS."

"There's nothing wrong with my head Doctor..."

"THEN WHY ARE YOU WORRYING ABOUT SOMETHING TWENTY YEARS OR SO AGO."

"Someone's life is a big deal..." She swiped her files back from the skeleton.

His eyes glowed. "THAT KID WAS IN THERE FOR THE SAME REASON AS YOU, TESTING. THEY PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE ESCAPED. YOU PROBABLY DID THEM A FAVOR BY PUTTING THEM OUT OF THEIR MISERY."

Chara was shaking with anger. "How dare you assume such things..."

"BECAUSE SANS TOLD ME HOW LONG MOST KIDS STAY THERE."

"I remember his drawing now... It was a family... A happy one... He had hope… And I..." she was shaking still. "Crushed whatever hopes and dreams he had left..."

"maybe that kid is still alive. you remember his name...?"

"No... He's dead... There's no way in hell he survived..." she held her arm again. "I was in there for two more months and I never saw him again..."

"...you don't remember his name? odd, if you'd killed someone, that detail would have made such a lasting impact on your brain, it would've been impossible to forget..."

"His name..? No... I do remember.... Michael Dolan...."

"...I'll be back in ten minutes..."

"Sans you'd better not be hunting for a dead kid..."

"just for his file." Pop and he's gone.

"I NEED TO PUT HIM ON A MAGIC LEASH OR SOMETHING..."

She sighs... And puts her head in her hands... "I give up.... Stubborn kid..."

"HE'D BETTER APPLY HIMSELF TO HIS STUDIES WHEN WE GET HOME..."

Frisk walks out into the living room... "H-Hello..."

"AH, THERE'S THE NEW HUMAN."

She holds out her hand. "Im Frisk."

"DOCTOR GASTER." He smiled, shaking her hand.

Chara handed the doctor the files... "I don't care... Take them if you want I don't want to see them...."

He placed the files in his coat. She summon her soul to look at it. Gaster watched also, as the cracked SOUL appeared. She didn't seem very concerned. "I won't be able to fight like this... Not if I needed too...

"...IF I MAY, I COULD OFFER A SHIELD FOR YOUR SOUL. IT PROBABLY WON'T STAND UP TO MANY HITS, BUT IT'LL GIVE YOU ENOUGH LEEWAY FOR A FIGHT.

"A kind offer... I cannot accept... I put this on myself..."

"BUT I CANNOT IDLY STAND BY AS YOU DESTROY YOUR CHANCE OF SURVIVAL IN BATTLE."

"..." she said nothing as he starts to cast some magic.

"I can't stop anyone...."

"...THIS IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, THAT'S WHY. IF YOU ORDERED IT, I'D DISOBEY. EVEN IF I WERE PUT TO DEATH FOR TREASON." A green film covered her SOUL.

"So be it...

He closed his fingers. She looked off at nothing... Sighing quietly.

"Is Miss Chara going to.... Die?" Frisk asked quietly.

"...THAT'S FOR HER TO DECIDE."

"That's Nice of you all to come out here worried but it's time for you to leave..." Chara looked around at the visitors.

"NOT YET. YOUR HUSBAND SEEMS TO BE TAKING A WHILE WITH YOUR SON, SO I HAVE A FEELING THAT MY SON'S HYPOTHESIS MIGHT BE RIGHT..."

"CHARAAA!"

She looked down the hallway empty before walking down towards the bedroom...