By Your Side

It was beautiful weather outside, or at least what Jesse would call beautiful weather. The sky was a light grey colour, clouds blocking out the harsh summer sunlight. A gently breeze was blowing, keeping the air cool.

Usually Jesse would have loved weather like that. It wasn't uncomfortably hot, perfect for being productive.

But that morning, Jesse barely seemed to acknowledge what the weather looked like outside. She was sitting in the window seat in the living room of the Order Hall, staring outside. Her expression distant, the faint outline of dark circles visible beneath her tired eyes.

Lukas stood at the dining table a short distance away, his eyes resting on Jesse. His gaze was sympathetic, almost slightly sad.

The door to the kitchen opened and Petra came out, carrying a bowl of cornflakes and a mug of coffee. She stopped, placing her breakfast down on the table and walking over to stand beside Lukas.

"I guess it's a start that she finally left her bedroom." Lukas said softly, his voice low enough for only Petra to hear.

"This is so not her." Petra responded back softly, clenching her jaw. "Those good for nothing-"

"Petra." Lukas placed his hand on her arm. "Getting angry at them isn't going to help us. Or Jesse."

Petra sighed heavily, walking back to the dining table and slumping down in a chair.

"Still." She said to Lukas, continuing to keep her voice down. "You can't tell me you don't feel some sort of rage towards them?"

Lukas sighed, looking back over at Jesse. Petra's angered expression dimmed a bit as she smirked triumphantly, knowing she was right. But then her smirk faded, her expression returning to one of anger and concern.

"Jesse? Want to come have breakfast with us?"

For second, it didn't look like Jesse heard a word Petra had said. She just continued to lifelessly stare out of the window at the foggy weather outside.

But then Petra and Lukas both heard her letting out a soft sigh, standing up. She turned away from the window, silently walking over and taking a seat beside Petra at the table. Lukas quietly sat down as well on the other side of Jesse.

"So what are the plans for today?" Petra asked, trying to lighten the mood a bit.

"I've got nothing planned." Jesse just replied bluntly, stirring the bowl of food in front of her.

Petra and Lukas exchange silent glances, both hoping that the other would have something to say.

"Since the heatwave broke, maybe this could be a bit of an opportunity for us to get out of the house?" Lukas suggested, tapping the wooden surface of the table thoughtfully.

"Oh, yes!" Petra agreed excitedly. "I'd never say no to the opportunity of getting out there a bit!"

Jesse smiled faintly at her friend's words, before that too melted off of her face.

"What about a hike?" Petra suggested, looking between Jesse and Lukas. "Out into the forest, away from Beacontown for a bit."

"You know what, that sounds like great fun!" Lukas agreed quickly. "We could just make it a day trip , maybe have a picnic somewhere for lunch. Or we could straight up not return for a few days, turn it into a little mini camping trip?"

Petra raised her eyebrows slightly at Lukas in a way of saying 'good job'. He grinned triumphantly.

"What's the occasion?" Jesse asked softly.