Dark Dreams

It was dark in the jungle, the thick canopy of leaves blocking out the silvery moonlight. If you were walking through there without a lantern or torch, you wouldn't even see the structure resting in the branches of a tall tree.

A newly built tree-house, the wood still fresh. It was dark behind the windows, all five people inside fast asleep.

The only sound that could be heard inside the building, was the occasional snore from behind of the bedroom doors, sometimes followed by the creak of a bed as somebody adjusted their position.

It was downright peaceful.

As the night dragged on, thick grey clouds began to pack together in the sky, hiding the silver moon from sight. Thunder rumbled, threatening that rain was to come.

A crack sounded through the dark sky, lightning spider-webbing across the black heavens.

Smiles began to subconsciously form on some faces inside the tree-house, adoring the arrival of rain even in their sleep.

But one wasn't so peaceful.

A whimper sounded out from the living room area, followed by more cries and yelps. The fearful sounds carrying through the wooden structure, alerting the members of the order.

Sighs and groans sounded out muffled from the bedroom doors, beds creaking as everybody began to get up. Doors soon opened to reveal the tired faces of the order, some looking annoyed while others looked downright sleepy.

"Again?" Olivia asked, rubbing her eyes as she yawned.

"He probably just doesn't like the thunder." Petra responded to the engineer, rubbing her tired eyes as she walked out of her room and down the hallway.

Reaching out a hand, Petra switched on the living room light. She placed her hands on her hips, trying to keep her expression stern as she met the two blue eyes that was staring at her from the box beside the couch.

"Really, Rascal?" She asked, the puppy pricking his ears upon hearing his name. "Third time this week?"

Letting out a somewhat excited yelp, Rascal clambered out of the box, running over to Petra and jumping up at her legs. As she lifted him into her arms, the other four came up behind them.

"Poor little thing." Jesse said, reaching her hand out to stroke the puppy in Petra's arms. "Did the coming storm scare you?"

"He has to get used to it at some point." Lukas said, leaning with his shoulder against the door frame. "Rainforests got their names for a reason."

"Are you sure he's scared though?" Axel said, crossing his big arms. "Look at him."

Indeed, Rascal's fluffy tail was waving like a flag as Petra held him, trying to lick her face. Letting out a playful yelp, he grabbed a string of her red hair in his mouth, giving it a tug.

"Well, he is a puppy." Jesse pointed. "Could just be that he doesn't like being alone."

"Well, if the four of you would quit throwing tantrums whenever he cries at night, I would train him." Petra responded grumpily as she tried to pry her hair from Rascal's jaws.

"If you think I'm listening to puppy yelping for nights on end, just because you're letting him cry it out-" Olivia started angrily.

"Okay, okay, I'm sure there's another solution here." Lukas interrupted, holding up his hands.

"Maybe feed him?" Axel piped up. "That's usually why I wake up at night, because I'm hungry."

"It's going to mess up his routine." Olivia responded grumpily. "He's going to expect Petra to feed him everything single night at 1 AM then."