Off Track

Jesse was sitting at the water's edge with her legs crossed beneath her. A gently breeze was playing with her long chestnut hair, making it gently flap behind her. Her gaze was resting in her lap where she held a book, one hand clutching a quill.

Every now and then, the tip of her tongue would peek out of her mouth in concentration, as she focussed on the sketch she was making. Occasionally Jesse would glance up at the deer who were grazing on the other side of the river, using them as a reference for the drawing.

"Hey, Jesse!"

Jesse jumped slightly at the sudden voice calling her name, just about able to avoid jerking the quill. She glanced over her shoulder, scowling.

"Petra, could you please not do that? We've been over this!"

"I know, I know!" Petra said, walking over and flopping down beside Jesse.

"What are you doing here anyway?" Jesse asked, looking over at the deer again, before directing her attention back down at the sketch. "I thought you'd still be in the nether for a few hours to come, looking for... what was it again? Blaze warts?"

"Blaze rods and nether wart." Petra corrected Jesse, rolling her eyes. "Yes, that was the plan, but I guess you could say I got distracted."

"What do you mean?" Jesse asked, slightly distracted as she held up her sketchbook to compare it to the deer.

"You're getting good." Petra said, raising her eyebrows slightly at the drawing.

"Guess it pays off that I get practise ever time you go to the nether." Jesse said, closing the sketchbook. "I'd much rather sit outside somewhere and sketch than walk through that fiery hell."

"Yeah, about that..." Petra began to grin mischievously.

"Oh, no, no, no." Jesse shook her head, waving a finger at Petra. "We made this agreement months ago, if there's something you want in the Nether, you can get it yourself."

"Now, now, hear me out." Petra said, holding her hands up in defence while continuing to grin. "I think you're going to like this."

"It better be good." Jesse said with a sigh, propping her chin in her hand. "Go on, tell me."

"I found the Order's mine cart tracks!" Petra began excitedly.

"That's what got you excited?" Jesse asked in surprise.

"No, no, there's more!" Petra said, waving her hand at Jesse. "So I dug around a bit, checking out the place. After all, unlike you, I didn't actually get to see the place during the whole wither battle." She scoffed. "I'm still grumpy that the rest of you got to go on a cool mine cart ride while I had to walk on foot through the overworld-"

"Get to the point, Petra."

"Okay, okay. So I was checking out the place and all of the different tracks, when I found a track that doesn't have a sign, no location marked on it."

"It's the nether." Jesse pointed out. "Ghasts, fires, lava... A wooden sign doesn't really stand a chance."

"No, but all the others are still there!" Petra said excitedly. "Even the track to Ivor's old place is still marked, it's just kind of hidden. This on the other hand? Nothing! Where do you think it could lead to?"

"I don't know." Jesse said with a shrug, leaning back on her elbows and returning to look out at the deer across the river. 

"Oh come on, you have to be curious as well!" Petra said, grasping Jesse's arm and eagerly shaking her.

"Yeah, well curiosity isn't enough to push me back in there." Jesse said, rolling her eyes. "Trust me, I've been on those tracks and I'm not keen on getting on them again."