Chapter 25: Xander

He woke up at midnight when his phone rang.

Xander Shakedera was instantly alert. He glanced around the room, to check if Ukyo was pulling a prank, but here was no one. Xander checked his phone. If this was a prank, it was masterfully done. He answered."Valt, it's twelve o' three. Why are you calling?"

"This was the first time I could talk to you!" Valt was crying on the other end of the phone.

"Calm down, Valt. Breathe. What is it?" What was wrong? Valt never cried unless he didn't get any Beybread, or he lost his beyblade.

"It's Shu!" Valt wailed. "He- his shoulder was badly injured. I told him to drop out of the tournament, but he won't. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DOOOO!!!AND--"

Xander threw the phone to the other side of the room and waited for the yelling to cease. After a solid minute, the noise stopped.

From the room down the hall, someone yelled, "Ukyo, if that's you, I swear I'll- uh, I'll wring your neck!"

Ukyo's groggy voice responded. "Mm-hm, whatever. Good night."

Xander stuffed part of his blanket in his mouth to keep his laugh from being heard. "Hang on, Valt," he told the phone. "Need to go outside. You're too loud."

"Sorry," the boy sniffled from the other end. "I'm not sure what to do... Should I drop out?"

Xander silently jumped out the window and landed neatly. "Definitely not. Actually, I have an idea. Grandpa's an expert healer, and he taught me a few tricks. Maybe..."

***

The next day, Xander ran down the mountain, across the land-formed bridge that he had found as a child, to the tournament. What he needed to do was discreetly assess Shu's condition without being extremely obvious about it. Shu would know if something was up with him.

"Hey, Xander!" Robin and Daigo walked out of the crowd. Robin smiled at him. "I thought you were training today?"

"I wanted to see the final match," Xander explained. It was a partial truth. He would have come to see anyways. With a grin, he added, "and I thought you were single."

Robin clutched her boyfriend's hand tighter and blushed. Daigo spoke up. "Yugo's gonna be so mad."

Xander threw back his head and laughed. "Yeah, he is. Not to mention he's kicked out of his room for another day. Today is Saturday, right?"

"Yep."

Daigo looked at him, tearing his eyes away from the stand with shiny launchers. "We just met, but I think I need a favor."

That got his attention. "Huh? You're a Descendant and I'm not. What could I do?" It was almost impossible to keep the slight bitterness out of his voice. He was being kind of unfair to Robin's boyfriend, but he had always wanted cool powers. Xander was starting to feel like Deku before All Might.

The dark eyed boy looked around. "Shu's in the waiting room, getting ready for his next match. Valt's gonna give it his all, but Shu's shoulder is... not so good."

Xander nodded slowly, listening to everything. "Yeah, Valt called at midnight and woke up half the dojo. I've got to figure out what's wrong."

Robin tilted her head. "Well... I've got no idea, except something's wrong--"

Daigo broke in. "His shoulder bone's been knocked out of it's socket. I saw a few of those injuries at the dojo."

"Yeah," the red-headed giant said. "We get a lot of-- wait, what? How did you--"