Chapter 37: Daigo

Daigo:

When Robin offered to help him train, he didn't think it would be as bad. Daigo figured it would be a normal couple of people beyblading for a while, then stop and go somewhere else.

It didn't turn out like that.

"Two hours," she told him, readying her beyblade. "If you're to face off against a stronger opponent than you, you'll want to be able to give your blade extra time. Most Descendants, bar Lui and Gabe, don't practice this. That's including me."

Daigo hesitated. "What are we practicing, exactly?" He already knew the answer, because Robin lost yesterday because of this. She didn't take losses well.

"Revive function."

He scowled. "But you're entirely recovered from yesterday, and Phoenix is tired too."

Phoenix entered his mind rudely. Jerk! I'm fine now! And if Robin's not, it doesn't matter! Finals start tomorrow!

"Let it... rip!"

Slowly, after Doomscizor and Robin yelling at him for an hour, he managed to figure out the Revive Function. "Why is this so difficult?"

Robin shrugged. Sweat dripped off the ends of her white hair, plastering it to her skull. "You're a fast learner. Two years is the norm. Again. Let's try for stamina this time."

He tilted his head. "But only a stamina type can do that."

She laughed. "Actually, you remember how my beyblade was like an attack type? It wasn't smart of me, but that's the faster flow of energy. I think. Slower seems to be for stamina. Can't figure out a defense type yet, unless it's something about more power through the forge disc."

He nodded slowly, head pounding. He kind of got why Robin got knocked out right after the match. Daigo felt ready to drop.

Maybe tonight he would actually get some sleep.

"Let it... rip!"

Doomscizor spun for twenty minutes, while Robin's stayed for the same amount of time. Daigo guessed that she could have gone longer if she had been paying more attention. Instead, she was wringing sweat out of her hair and smacking him with the towel. "Faster, faster, faster," she sang, yanking off his bandanna.

He scowled, replacing it. "Could you not?" The world tilted slightly, and he shook his head sharply to clear it. Doomscizor fell to the side, dropping to the center of the stadium.

"We've got ten minutes left," Robin said. "And-- Daigo?"

He sat down hard, head pounding. What the-- yeah, this is the worst.

"Oh." he heard an apology in her voice as she sat beside him. "I'm sorry. I forgot you were beginning." She tugged on his arm. "You look dead."

"It's a good look for me," he muttered, taking his skull necklace off and placing it over his face. "Now, please don't talk, 'cause my head's gonna explode."

She winced, lowering her voice. "Ouch. Sorry. Since I did that, feel free to punch me or something. I kinda deserve it."

Her carelessness and relaxed attitude at their relationship was so annoying. "You see us as friends or more than friends."

"More than friends. I don't let just any kid into my room. Or play first person shooters with."

She had the wrong idea, but she was just like that. "Stop running off on your own so much. You treat this like a game, and it hurts. You leave to fight for money as a twenty year old every night, and I don't want you to get hurt. But I've never gone on a date with you, and I don't think I even know you."